The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been lurking around this forum and posting here and there so I thought it was time to share my tank. So here we go.

Equipment
90 gal. Clear 4 Life aquarium
Eheim 2126
Amiracle Wet/Dry sump w/ Eshopps pf800 overflow w/ mag drive 9.5 return pump. Mag Drive 7 w/ fractioning impeller
Hydor Koralia 550
Hpt-500 co2 regulator w/ burkert solenoid, parker metering valve, swagelok s/s fittings
Diy Cerges reactor(bubble collector)
Milwaukee SMS 122 ph controller
Sunterra uv sterilizer
Hydor hyrokable
Hydor hydroset
Tek 4x54 t5(Geismann Aquaflora and midday, ATI blue special and purple plus)
Tek 2x54 retrofit (UVL Red sun, Geismann midday)
DIY led moonlight, sunrise/sunset
New scape started on 8-31-2013(pictures on page 5 & 6)

The tank as of 10-10-13

The tank as of 12-9-13

The tank as of 3-10-14

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great but I demand a closer full tank shot.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with collectoritis. Nice plant list.
I will try to get a closer FTS later today. All the FTS I have right now are kind of crappy. I only have certain times of the day that I can take pictures or I end up with horrible reflections in the shot. The collectoritis is something that I'm working on but with so many cool plants and only one tank to put them in it is hard to avoid. Most of the plants listed were bought from Crispino Ramos in a package. I wanted to try a few different plants at once to see what ones I really like and the ones that don't work in my conditions. Here are a few more pictures from a month ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your stand and canopy are amazing is it a piece of furniture or a aquarium stand ? I also like to try a variety of plants and see what works. Good job.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
That has to be the single most beautiful piece of aquarium furniture I have EVER, EVER seen. :drool: The plants are just the icing on the cake!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That has to be the single most beautiful piece of aquarium furniture I have EVER, EVER seen. :drool: The plants are just the icing on the cake!
Thank you very much. Now if I can get the inside of the tank to look as good as the stand and canopy I will be a happy guy. I looked for a long time before I found a stand that would look like a piece of furniture since it is the first thing someone sees when they walk in my front door. I was about to have a custom made stand built until I came across this one and it just happen to have the exact same finish as the rest of my furniture in my living room. I don't have the cabinet making skills like fellow TPT member northey87 has. His stand and canopy have to be one of the nicest looking I have ever seen and can't wait to see it in when it's all finished.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
We actually have a lot of mission type furniture, and I just know that would look great in our living room. Let me give you my address so that you can bring it to me. :biggrin: It really is a fine piece of furniture, regardless if it is custom built or not. Now you have me looking up northey87. I am almost tempted to just shut the computer and go to work early so I don't get more envious.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That is one beautiful stand/canopy. Must be a real pain to take off all the photographs and candles to feed your fish. looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is one beautiful stand/canopy. Must be a real pain to take off all the photographs and candles to feed your fish. looking forward to updates!
There is actually 2 doors on the front part of the canopy that open up and I usually reach around the back of the canopy to feed and dose. There is just enough room to get my arm back there.However it can be a pain during weekly w/c but that is the price you have to pay if you want a canopy. The candles and pictures are my wifes doing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ua hua,

Are you using any other heat source than the Hydor hyrokable with Hydor hydroset? I have, but haven't yet put into service, the hyrokable with hydroset, and a Hydor ETH for a new tank setup. I'm just wondering if perhaps I don't need the ETH? I've wondered if using both is redundant, and if it might make temperature adjustment more of a challenge, as the hydroset uses a temperature probe in the water column.

Oh, incredibly beautiful setup! My compliments!

Mike

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ua hua,

Are you using any other heat source than the Hydor hyrokable with Hydor hydroset? I have, but haven't yet put into service, the hyrokable with hydroset, and a Hydor ETH for a new tank setup. I'm just wondering if perhaps I don't need the ETH? I've wondered if using both is redundant, and if it might make temperature adjustment more of a challenge, as the hydroset uses a temperature probe in the water column.

Oh, incredibly beautiful setup! My compliments!

Mike

I haven't checked on this thread for awhile so sorry for the delayed response. The Eheim 2126 has a heater in it but never turns on except after a water change. The hyrdokable keeps my temp. around 80F but I believe that the CF lights inside the canopy also play a role in the temp. of the tank. In the middle of summer my tank can reach 82-84 without the hyrokable even turning on. I can't say for sure for your setup if you need the ETH in conjuction with the hydrokable but it can't hurt to have for backup just in case something happens to your hydrokable. Thanks for all your compliments and if I can ever figure how to take better pictures with my fancy new camera I will update this thread as I have added a few plants and have narrowed the species of plants down to the few that seem to thrive in my conditions. About 2 months ago I added 45 rummynose as I was down to 5 left from my original school of 30 that I have had for over two years.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well after having this tank setup for well over 3 1/2 years I'm sad to say I have to tear it down. And not for good might I add but I have been wanting to put my wet/dry sump back on this tank and need 3" between the tank and wall to put the overflow box and only have 2 1/2" right now. So needless to say I have to break this down and take everything out for 1".

It felt like Christmas today as I finally received the new equipment for this tank. Today I got my Tek 4x54 light fixture with 1 Geismann Midday, 1 Geismann Aquaflora, 1 ATI blue special, and 1 ATI purple plus. I also got a new Eshopps overflow box as the old one I have is pushing 10 years old and needs about 4 1/2" between the wall and tank. The pump I got is a Mag Drive 7 with fractioning impeller that I plan on running through my Aqua medic 1000 reactor using the dual venturi method. I also got a hydor koralia evolution water pump to help with the flow as the old maxi jets I have in the tank now are about on there last leg being they are over 5 years old and I definitley got my moneys worth out of them. I will try to post some pictures of the process of the rescaping of this tank and I'm very curious myself as to how this CO2 diffusion method that I will be trying will work out. I have tried many different pumps with different flow rates on my reactor and always had false gas in the top of the reactor by the end of the day and got real tired of always having to bleed this false gas off. I'm hoping this new pump with the venturi method will solve this and the worst case senario will be I ditch the reactor all together and just run it through the needle wheel although I want to avoid the micro bubbles in the tank.

I will be using some lava rocks in this new scape along with the drfitwood that is in the tank now. I will be using all the plants that are in the tank now and more than likely will be trying to acquire a large amount of fissidens and a few others than have yet to be determind. I would like to find a foreground plant that my roselines don't eventually take a liking to. I have elatine triandra in the tank now and about the time it starts to fill in they rip it up and I have to replant it every week. I have tried just about every foreground plant there is and the only one that they didn't seem to bother was marsiela minuta but that stuff became such a weed that I got rid of it. Right now I'm going to keep the e. trianda and might also use some lilaeopsis along with it and hope the roselines leave it alone long enough for it to take root.

Nothing like starting a tank over that has been doing great and has been stable for 3+ years for 1" but I'm kind of excited for a new start. So here goes nothing and I will try to keep this updated more than once every year.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Let the cussing begin. I started the massive chore of tearing this tank down last night and just like Murphy's law nothing was going right. The bulkhead fitting for the overflow box I ordered was defective and wasn't allowing the nut to screw on all the way. So I have a new one that should be here tom. so I can finish. The fish were all put in my 20 gal. quarantine tank and my power was shut off this morning by the power company to put in new transformers and I come home for lunch to find 16 of my rummynose dead. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all. I'm hoping to finish everything by this weekend and will post some pics of the progress. Things like this is what makes people quit the hobby but it's not the first time I have bad things happen and I can almost guarantee that it won't be the last. I hope this is worth all the headache that it has/will be but I'm trying to stay positive.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts