The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
It will also kill of most parasites like ich that pass through the unit.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
UV sterilizers are used to kill off parasites, algae, and pretty much anything that passes through the unit. Particularly usefull if you collect sensitive fish, or on quarantine tanks that you acclimate new fish in. I have used mine for everything from killing algae to fighting Ick and velvet

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet sounds like something I should invest into. What are some Nice Brands and models you all use, or that I need to avoid?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Coralife Turbo Twist units are decent. About right for the money too.

DiabloCanine has a good tutorial on how to make the in-line TT into a hang-on-the-back type UV sterilizer for when you really need it. If not, just plumb it inline and turn it on whenever you need it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Keep in mind that in terms of parasite eradication, if your flow rate is above a certain rate, you will not control/elimnate parasites. Check the design spec's of whatever unit you end up choosing. I have a 9w Turbo Twist that has worked flawlessly on my 58. I split the output of my 2126 and put a ball valve on one return in parallel with the U/V on the other return. This allows me to be able to reduce the flow through the U/V. I haven't had any signs of Ich, any teeny unwanted swimmy things or green H2O in the tank since.
It's not a great picture, but here's the set up:

Tommy

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can second the Turbo Twist as a good product. It worked well attached to my XP2, on a 29G . I also had good luck with the JBJ Submariner, although, it did it slower since the one I had was a lower wattage, HOWEVER, it has its own builtin power head and it goes right inside the tank. Makes it alot more portable. I can move to any tank I need w/o doing any changes in plumbing of my canister filters.

Jon

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 9w Turbo Twist that has worked flawlessly on my 58. I split the output of my 2126 and put a ball valve on one return in parallel with the U/V on the other return. This allows me to be able to reduce the flow through the U/V.
Tommy
I think I will copy your layout. I will put it onto the out-put of my Eheim 2026. Where did you get your Turbo Twist?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use a coralife turbotwist x9 18w on my Eheim pro 2 2126 and i change bulb about every 12 months. the bulbs prices are dropping too!

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are on sale at Big Al's right now. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...256/cl0/coralifeturbotwist3x9wattuvsterilizer

IMO, you do not need a UV connected to your filter, it just decreases your filter flow for no good reason, no need to run it 24/7 anyway. Make it portable; you can control the flow better and use it only when needed.
It won't be running 24/7. At the first T section it will have a switch to control the amount of flow into the UVS or cut it off. That way when I need it I can use it. I like your Portable one, but I get lazy sometimes and it would be on there for like a week before I took it down.:icon_surp Do you think it will work?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
It won't be running 24/7. At the first T section it will have a switch to control the amount of flow into the UVS or cut it off. That way when I need it I can use it. I like your Portable one, but I get lazy sometimes and it would be on there for like a week before I took it down.:icon_surp Do you think it will work?
IMO, that is not a good idea. Turning flow on and off will increase gunk buildup in the UV and require more cleaning. I made mine portable because I am lazy, much easier to clean and take care of the unit.......DC

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What is a U.V. Sterilizer used for/ what does is help in a tank?:help:
Basic definition, it kills living cells. What type of living cells depends on the wattage and the dwell time (flow rate). The easiest things to kill are bacteria, then more dificult is algea, and most difficult is parasites. For example, the coralife 3x is rated as follows: 235gph bacteria, 121gph algae, 55gph parasites. So dont expect it to kill parasties very quickly if you plumb it inline with a 300gph canister. And remember, it doesnt take the place of bio or mechanical filtration.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts