The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this question in my head for so long i don't even remember. Most of the ppl that owns an aquarium uses styrofoam to protect the tank from breaking apart right when they place it on the stand.
My question here is very simple and i hope to get a good answer =P I was wondering if anyone knows how thick this styrofoam plate should be depending on how big the tank that will place on top of it.

Example : if i want to set up a 10gal tank i usually put a 1/2" styrofoam plate beneath it (sometimes don't even use it since it's so small) but how about if i have a 55gal tank or a 100gal tank would this 1/2" styrofoam plate work as well as for the 10gal or should i be using thicker plates intead, like 3/4" or even 1" tick ones?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
563 Posts
I dont have a definitive answer to this at all, but the piece i use under my 37g might not even be 1/2" thick. Its funny, i can easily crush it between my fingers, but with the tank on top of it and full of water it barely indented it. I dont have the terminology to explain why that is, but its also evident in things like mortar and eggshells...slow even steady pressure applied to them and they are incredibly strong, apply quick blunt force and you can easily destroy them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never used anything between the tanks and stand. If the surface is relatively flat and level why do you need anything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
most of the tanks ive set up i havent used anything either. But this one, the floor was pretty un level and the stand was less than perfect. The styrofoam absorbs any irregularities and makes sure the tank sits level...keeping any un needed stress off of the aquarium, or more specifically the silicone joints.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Home centers or building supply stores sell stuff that is used for things like creating a barrier between brick facing and the frame of a house. It is about 1/2" thick and easy to cut.

I use it under most of my tanks. As VisionQuest said, it helps to distribute the weight of a tank. I once had a tank on a surface that wasn't completely flat and the button broke. Using this material will help prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i never used any foam between any of my tank ..only used foam on acrylic tank .but then of course i DIY all my stand and i make sure it will all level and i put a plywood sheet flat out between tank and stand.!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts