The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got some painted reds for my 10 gallon. One shrimp has died every week since :icon_frow. The berried females I had were successful in giving birth thankfully (and none of the babies have died), but died after. I can confirm this is a moulting problem because I noticed cracks on the carapace of my shrimp and recently, I saw one dead half way out of her shell. I cannot find solid info on this except for maybe add more GH (water here is basically liquid rock). Now I should add that I first tried going all distilled water to be safe. My water changes left the tank at approx 1:5, tap:RO water. I dose the RO water with Kent's RO right to their recommended "medium hardness" level. I also have crushed sea shells in my filter for buffering. As for ferts I use 1/2 the recommended dose of Excel every other day and Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food (will upgrade to EI when I get the money). Now on to details:

Tank: stock 10 gallon
Filter: Finnex px 360 canister
Lighting: Finnex Fugeray Planted+
Substrate: CaribSea FloraMax
Plants: Java fern, creeping moss, rotala rotundafolia, ludwigia red, cabomba red, dwarf lily, italian vals, anacharis

In tank water parameters (API Master Test):
pH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 2-3 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH and KH: ≈200 ppm

My tap water:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH and KH: out of API kit parameters? Color never changed

My City's Municipal Water Report Data:
pH: 8.0
Hardness: 238 ppm
TDS: 666 ppm (of course) :icon_evil
Fun Stuff to Drink: Cyanide at 100 ppb, Arsenic 1.63 ppb, and Uranium 11.6 ppb

If my GH seems ok, what is in my water causing these shrimp to not molt? What do you guys use to condition your R/O water for shrimp?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.