The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just wondering what's going on with the green fuZz on my driftwood and brownish stuff on my leaves (hard to see in the pic) . Seems like two different issues.

Specs: fluval spec v stock led light (10 hour photoperiod). High flow minijet pump. Tank been running for about 4-5 months. Water change (20%) once a week. Dose excel twice a week.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Need much closer pictures to identify but less hrs of light will get rid of some if
not all of the stuff on the wood.
I want my lights on at least not long after I get up in the A.M. but also like them to be on round 5-6 P.M. which makes 7 hrs hard to cover. But more than 7 gives me the
same issue.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Do you have any better pictures?

A simple color description and the photos above are not enough to help determine what the "brown" algae is. To me is sounds like diatoms, only brown algae I really know of, but a picture speaks 1,000 words so better photos would help out a lot.

On the sword plant in the second photo, I am assuming that is the plant you are asking about since you did not say, it sorta looks like it has some GSA as well, so you have have multiple types of algae in your aquarium it seems and will need to take multiple steps to correct the varying issues behind each type of algae.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I up the dosing I excel? I use it twice a week. Up or down on the light exposure? What about the green stuff? That part seems to be growing more while the brownish stuff is slowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.