The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is.

I've read online that you can use distilled water instead of tap water during a partial water change. I just wanted to see if what I read online is true.

If it is do I need to treat the distilled water with dechlorinator like I would tap water?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is.

I've read online that you can use distilled water instead of tap water during a partial water change. I just wanted to see if what I read online is true.

If it is do I need to treat the distilled water with dechlorinator like I would tap water?
You can, but its not really needed for most set-ups. Its far more important if you are doing saltwater or trying to maintain very specific water conditions for breeding difficult fish. Actually, it will be easier and cheaper to not use distilled water 99% of the time because its "free" out of the tap and will help maintain more stable conditions.

No. If you use distilled water, you do not need to chlorinate it. However, if you are using it as part of water changes, you will need to add minerals back into it. Pure water is not good for the fish or plants.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I was just mostly worried it would mess with the ph of my tank. But I think since I don't have to do a 50% change this time it won't. (I had a staghorn algae problem). It made my ph rise when I put that much tap water (treated of course) back in it.

·
Registered
UNS 90U - 21 gallon low-boy
163 Posts
Stef,

Where do you live? Do you know what's in your tap? Is it city or well water?

Best thing to do is find that out from you city, typically via google. Then confirm with some test kits (even borrowed ones or ask your LFS). Then, if you're lucky, use your tap. If you're not, then you need to worry about RO or DI.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
To figure this out, test the tap water and the tank for:
GH
KH
pH
TDS.

If the tap water has the same mineral levels (GH, KH, TDS) and just the pH is different then it is probably just fine to do water changes. Fish react to the changing mineral levels worse than changing pH.
If the tap and tank do not have the same mineral levels then lets figure out what is going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts