The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going to Home Depot and picking up some screen.

What is safe for usage under water? We know SS is but I can't find that local.

I believe they carry nylon, aluminum and maybe vinyl.

Are those kinds okay? Will aluminum erode in freshwater? It's to make aquarium dividers for fish, not sensitive inverts. Okay, maybe one for snails too, actually.

I know I can use binding bars to hold the screen up but don't they have screen holders at hardware stores? Screen inserts, or something? I have no idea what they're called, if such a thing exists, or if they'd be safe.

Anything besides unknown adhesive that I should stay away from?

Or, should I nix the window screen idea and use fabric tulle? I have a feeling that that might be hard to work with because it's so flimsy and because I had a holding box with fabric screen on it but the water never flowed through so it was pointless.

MONEY IS TIGHT.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, but I don't think it's large enough...? And is it actually cheaper than window mesh or fabric tulle?

What do I use to hold it against the sides of the tank?? I don't want to glue it or do anything permanent.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can glue it to a suction cup and that will hold it against the side of the tank.
It needs to be flush against the sides, all sides, or my guppies and fry will find a way to get through tiny cracks. Also, I don't think they make quilting mesh fine enough for fry.

Guess I'll be going to Home Depot! I'll also stop in the craft store to check out the quilting mesh just in case.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Go to a local Hardware store that replaces window screen ask if you can have their scrap. Just make sure it's either vinyle or fiberglass kind and not metal. They will usuallly give all you want (Free).

Best wishes,
Wes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.