The Planted Tank Forum banner

Types of Red Cherry Shrimp

4264 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Jane of Upton
How do I know the difference between neocaridina denticulata sinensis var. red and neocaridina heteropoda var.red? And others too...

And as I look at different pictures and threads about RCS, it seems these have been mixed together quite a bunch and may be somewhat difficult to differentiate. When I received my RCS from two different sources, I did not know how many variations there are. Some have some white lines down their backs, some are as dark as fire reds, and some are kind of speckled red. Hmmmm. if I am looking to breed some quality RCS, should I start over with a known species and keep the lines true?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
They are the same thing the scientific name was redone, the redder they are probably more inbred since people have to pick the reddest of the reds to get the reddest babies as possible. Redder RCS have "special" names like Sakura or Fire Red.
Hmmm,

I've noticed this, too. But my thoughts on it are that while I'm sure there is some in-breeding I suspect hybridization is contributing to this look. When I first raised RCS, none of them had the pale stripe down their backs. And the shrimp I saw from other hobbyists did not either.

By 2003-2005, FW dwarf shrimp keeping was taking off among hobbyists, and the shrimp were commanding prices that got them noticed. Dwarf freshwater shrimp began to come in from many sources. The first time I saw these dorsal stripes very prominently was on "Rainbow Shrimp". My sense is that this was a sort of catch-all name for a variety of colorful Neocardinia coming in from different locations. Since Red Cherry Shrimp were deemed highly desirable, either distributors or sellers may have segregated the red ones, and they got mixed in with the true red cherry shrimp, at any stage along the distribution path, including in hobbyist's tanks. Personally, I began to see more solid red coloration at the same time the cream colored dorsal stripe became prevalent. Some of the "Rainbow Shrimp" were far darker, more of a brick or mahogany red. Also, the color of the "early" RCS seemed to be a series of spots or blotches, which were thinly scattered on the males, leaving quite a bit of clear area, and more dense on the females, giving them a more intense color. As females aged and bore more batches of eggs, these areas would get more dense and her color would intensify. Some of the "Rainbow Shrimp" had very opaque coloration, with every segment of their exoskeleton being colored. I wonder if that is part of the more solid colors seen these days. I've seen some shrimp labeled as Red Cherry Shrimp on the biggest auction website, and to me, they don't even look like RCS, because they're a murky, almost aubergine color.

Yes, some of the intensification of the color is from selective breeding, but I'm kind of skeptical that the breed has stayed "true".

Eh, just my 2 cents.
-Jane
See less See more
I have a small population of cherrys and noticed that all of my females except one are very much a cherry red color. I do have one female that is almost a purple/red color. I found it interesting that she is the only one that is a different color. Anyone have experience with different color cherrys?

BTW all are related......
My cherries also range from a bright red color to a purplish color. Mine also vary in color of eggs. It is very interesting.
I believe any red shrimp is an RCS.
They just give it a new name and charge you more...
But of course, they are of higher grade.
Thanks everyone for the replies. It all makes sense to me I guess.
RCS is more of a general term for a red neocaridina species. Is there anything else we should all be aware of?
Well,

I may need to stand to be corrected. I was asking around for RCS without the dorsal stripe, and Dan at TheShrimpFarm responded to my inquiry by saying that this is NOT a constant, and that the same individual shrimp may display the stripe one day, and not the next.

I'm really surprised and curious about this, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on a female who displayed this stripe prominently - I moved her to a nano tank, with a single male, so its easy to keep tabs on her "stripyness".

And yes, I've seen the egg color variation as well - from the "usual" very light orangy-yellow, to almost greenish eggs (a fellow hobbyist's colony).

Interesting stuff!
-Jane
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.