The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have everything set for my dirt mini tank, except for decent clay. So far the search function has lead to several alternative, get a clean (soap free) steel wool and let it rust (leading to iron oxide), buy mexican red clay, or use kitty litter.

The sole purpose is to obtain an iron source, so... can I use the iron pills given to pregnant woman? I figure with a good mashing, it will eventually turn to powder.

The other method I am curious about is the kitty litter. I have a huge box of BJ's (Berkley Jensen) brand kitty litter. How do I go about turning it to a plant-usable form? Boil it with the topsoil? Rinse and dry several time? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, last night i took a quart size of the litter, attempt to rinse all the baking soda and fragrance off the litter, and it was not a good sight to see. I was hoping for the litter to get compacted enough, and let the perfume and what not float up. After 4 rinse attempt, it still has the perfume smell, and my poor toilet got clogged. Gonna try the steel wool soak this time, see if it'll work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.