The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some one say a while back all bucephalandra plants are the same. But they look different so they call them different names is this true?

Because a while back I had found a website with different scientific species names for each Buce. And none were the same.

So are all bucks the same species or different species

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I heard some one say a while back all bucephalandra plants are the same. But they look different so they call them different names is this true?

Because a while back I had found a website with different scientific species names for each Buce. And none were the same.

So are all bucks the same species or different species
There are many species of Bucephalandra but there are a few botanists working on it. It is a lot of work to submit a paper for approval of a new species.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There is a journal article that was published this year that identifies 27 species of buce. This should help with clearing some of the confusion in the multitude of trade & commercial names out there along with the ecology of the different species. The article also notes that only about half of known varieties have been officially described and that those varieties probably belong to two major groupings (motleyana complex & pygmacae complex) :bounce:
http://www.aroid.org/gallery/wong/S...rg10.3372wi.44.44201] - Wong & Boyce 2014.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The care for all of them is the same, so the different varieties are just different in appearance.

Its hard to say for sure how many species there are, most buces enter the trade and are labeled by where they are from or given some sort of buzz name to generate interest in the plant. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several different trade names for buces that all refer to the same plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts