The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If tank is newly established (less than two month's old), could be diatom's that are nothing to be concerned about ,and will go away without any intervention from you/me.
Photo's would be helpful along with all information about the tank,plant's,filtration,lighting,fertilizer's/chemical's used recently (meds?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has been established for 4 or 5 months. It's a 55 Gallon, with water parameters that are within the ranges they need to be. I've added some photos to the original post, which the algae is hard to see when looking straight forward, so it had to be taken at angles. The tank has a handful of Hygro's and Wisteria around the tank, and a Fluval U4 Underwater Filter (used to be an Aqueon Quietflow 50/75). Only fertilizers and chemicals that have been used are API Root Tabs and API General Cure (Just added today).

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Water parameter's described as good/normal,within range,are subjective opinion's.
Need number's.
Meds can sometimes have undesireable affect on fishes and also plant's.
According to previous post's,you treated for fungus in Feb and now with API general cure for ??
My money is still on diatom's that normally go away as mentioned afte a couple month's but have been known to hang around longer.
Can wipe the diatom's off the glass with clean paper towel ,rub the stuff off large leaves,vaccum around the plant's to remove it from the substrate,and keep filter material cleaned regularly.
Otocinclus love diatom algae, but your previous post's indicate molllie's in the tank which thrive in hard alkaline water that otocinclus don't appreciate .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water parameter's described as good/normal,within range,are subjective opinion's.
Need number's.
Meds can sometimes have undesireable affect on fishes and also plant's.
According to previous post's,you treated for fungus in Feb and now with API general cure for ??
My money is still on diatom's that normally go away as mentioned afte a couple month's but have been known to hang around longer.
Can wipe the diatom's off the glass with clean paper towel ,rub the stuff off large leaves,vaccum around the plant's to remove it from the substrate,and keep filter material cleaned regularly.
Otocinclus love diatom algae, but your previous post's indicate molllie's in the tank which thrive in hard alkaline water that otocinclus don't appreciate .
The API General Cure was added as a safety precaution for one of our female Mollies who has a little bit of skin peeling off. We figure she might have just been rubbing up against the sides of the breeder box she's in (she's due relatively soon), but just to be safe, we did a dose of it.
As for the water parameters, they've always been the same as they have the entire time we've had the fish that are currently in there (we've recycled the tank a couple times over the past year of having it), so I don't see how that could be a cause of the algae all of a sudden.
We'll give it a cleaning in a bit, as you have suggested, and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.