The Planted Tank Forum banner

Type of root tab

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Subtletanks91 
#1 ·
What type of root tabs do you guys use and what? Tell me what you swear by and your success stories. I'm curious, I just got the flourish tabs today, and want, need opinions.

#5 ·
I tried diy root tabs, they work pretty good. here's a link about it.

I like it because you can tailor the ingredients to be stronger or weaker or whatever. When I did it I used real pottery clay, mts, iron oxide and greensand as well as some crushed up jobes organic root tabs and two crushed up seachem root tabs.

You put the dirt & fert in the clay, form little tabs, then bake

#10 ·
Yeah Osmocote Plus is hands down the best poly coated slow release pellet. Too bad it has been discontinued. The next best thing is Dynamite plant food, the red container, or Ferti-lome Garden Cote 6. It is a little more than the Dynamite and doesn't contain quite as many nutrients. Get your hands on some Osmocote Plus while you still can!

#7 ·
ive used the ones aquariumplants.com sells for a few years and they work well but as im expanding tanks there getting a bit pricey so i switched to the diy osmocote tabs and they seem to be working well but still early. I decided to try them however because so many members had very positive reviews of them.

#9 ·
I just ordered some o+ tabs because of so many great reviews, but I still haven't used the flourish ones either. There sitting on my tank, I have to many plants to plant still lol. The glosso is the hardest still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.