The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my other plants are doing well. I dont have a very good local source for live plants, so I resort to petsmart.

They have aquatic plants suspended in a vacuum packed bag with water and gel. They look some what healthy in the bag but twice now theyve started to die within a day or two in my tank. Last time they melted to nothing.

Im sorry I dont remember the species of plant, Ill try to get the name/latin name tomorrow, but its grass like with small petals.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Plants usually die back a bit when they are moved to a new tank but thats some nasty algae there. It looks like blue/green algae which is actually a bacteria so keep everything clean with a gravel vac and ensure there whole tank has at least some water movement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took them out of the tank, placed them in a bowl of tank water and shook it out to remove the rot.

Replanted, they still look alive just miserable, maybe they'll pull through.

Just using Flourish, substrate is eco complete

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plants usually die back a bit when they are moved to a new tank but thats some nasty algae there. It looks like blue/green algae which is actually a bacteria so keep everything clean with a gravel vac and ensure there whole tank has at least some water movement.
Thanks, Yea I have a bit of green slime/cyano on the lava rocks. Did my first Maracyn dose today. I do need a stronger filter, the whole thing was the bookshelf aquarium kit from petco, so the lighting and the filter is both subpar.

Id like a better setup, but its not in the budget atm.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Substrate looks like flourite original.
Stems look like bacopa to me and a fern in the back left.
Plants look like aquatics (imo).

What do you know about your water?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Substrate is FloraMax, I don't know anything about my waters chemistry. Every other plant has done well and I haven't been able to order shrimp yet so I haven't bothered to have its ph/hardness tested

·
Registered
378 Posts
The plant in first four pictures seems to be in bad condition. Also as others have stated you have blue-green algae and have to take care of it coz it spreads thru the tank n eventually destroys everythng.

Regarding choice of plants in yr tank take into consideration the light watts per gallon, water flow in yr tank (filter strength), substrate (rich or regular),water (tap water/RO) if its soft/hard certain plants need water that has low PH, GH, KH. Some plants are affected by high nitrates, high temperatures, low or lack of ferts macro and micro. Certain plants (eg.swords) are heavy root feeders so u have to add substrate tabs.
There are plant that cannot survive without CO2, high lights 4 w/g, while others flourish without CO2, low lights 1-2 w/g, low ferts and tap water with high PH,GH,KH.

The choice of plants also depends on the type of fish u keep eg. You can keep a large variety of plants with live bearers whereas with certain fish like geophagus, daemon, etc its adviced to keep plants which can be tied to the driftwood (eg.anubias) coz these fish do not eat plant but dig the substrate in search of food n disturb the plants uproot the stems, etc.

Always choose plants which are best suited for yr tank by taking into consideration what yr tank has to offer i.e.Lights (w/g), substrate (regular/rich), fish, Co2, Water (soft/hard), water flow (filter), temperature (under 26 degrees), ferts (macro,micro,substrate tabs),etc...

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Just using Flourish, substrate is eco complete
haha this post is why I asked to confirm what the substrate is based on how it looked in the posted pic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts