The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I received alot of riccia and left it floating until I could split it up with a couple friends, but it was blocking most of the light from my other plants. So I decided to tie it down to small pieces of slate with fishing line - which took forver. This is mostly temporary storage, but after looking at how others tie it down to things, I'm wondering if I tied it down to thick. I tied about a 1/4" thickness to each peice of slate, and bound it tight enough to keep it attached. Will this be ok for a couple of weeks until I can distribute the extra to my friends, or is something bad going to happen to the riccia?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. I had my Riccia tied to a piece of slate at the bottom of my 10g. It grew almost as quickly as when it was floating.

Lighting was 36w.
Exactly what I have, except I have the light raised from the tank about 7". I was just wondering if I tied it too thick.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
With a 1/4" you may get a small amount of dead Riccia on the very bottom, but not enough to be really worried about it. The amount grown over that time will more than make up for it.

7" over the tank shouldn't be that much of a problem. Mine is right around that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I was really worried about that and didn't want to re-attach everything. Now that I have all my plant clippings planted, I want to leave the tank be and get on with dialing in my numbers and getting on the EI schedule.

:D

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You will probably have to trim it but that's easy. Just hold a net over the Riccia while trimming with the other hand. The pieces float right into the net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts