The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some tips from you guys on how to secure N-L JF onto rocks. I know that their roots should be above substrate, yes? So I am looking at the one I just received in the mail today. Very healthy leaves, very healthy runners - if you call the root system that. So ... can I just tie them to rocks with say rubber bands? Would that be too tight? Kitchen twine? Fishing line?

I know the roots will establish on woods. What about on rocks?

Would rubber bands "hurt" or better said too tight on the roots?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
The rhizome is what needs to stay above the substrate. All Three methods would work (though I'm not sure about the twine). You can also use sewing thread- nylon, polyester or cotton, doesn't matter.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
If you find the need to. I just leave it so I don't have to worry about pulling it out and putting it back in. Cotton thread will dissolve after a while, so if you use that you won't have to worry about removing it. By the time it dissolves the rhizome should have (in theory) taken hold. :thumbsup:

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I've recently started using Loctite super glue gel. Just a couple drops on the rhizome is all you need to hold it in place. I still use fishing thread to tie down moss, but superglue is so much easier and faster for ferns and anubias. There are several threads you can search for here on the forum that discuss this method much further.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also use super-glu gel. Its perfect for holding down plants and completely non-toxic for the plant and fish. I use it to attach moss as well.

To do it you remove the rock from the water, place a dab of gel, stick on java fern and re-submerge. The glue will cure instantly and the plant will eventually grow over it enough to hide it. Do not use regular super glue though as it will just run all over the place.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I usually use cotton thread, but if the tying area is hard to get at such as a very round rock or something, I put the fern on with super glue. I let it cure for a few minutes until I was sure it was dry and it was perfect.

Just be sure not to put too much super glue on it. It could effect the rhizome badly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts