The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's suggestions on how to spruce up this tank? I'm very happy with the groundcover but feel I need more action in the tank. The whole thing is starting to look a bit too generic.

I recently added the two plants on the left (sorry no formal names - the spikey plant and the grass), but still feel I either need more variety or maybe a tank-wide rescape.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Looks great, but adding some midground accent plants around the driftwood and in front of the plants in the back right would add some depth and interest. Consider one of them being a non-green plant. A dwarf lily could be a great choice since it is colorful, easy to keep, and not a stem plant (easier to maintain as a mid-ground). Honestly, I'd lose the stems in the back left and add more of the green plant (crypt?) from the back left to that spot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know plant names either, but I would try to hide the equipment with wood or plants. When I get bored, hopefully not too soon, then it will be time for an upgrade, bigger tank!! Or, I may try some smaller species tanks, like with specific fish or plants.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The new plants look like Eleocharis (vivipara?) and possibly Mermaid weed (Proserpinaca palustris).

I agree some red focal points would be nice, and +1 for a lotus. Some red and/or varieagated Crypts would add some interest. Some of the tall Crypts (Balansea, Retrospiralis, etc) in the background might work well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Consider changing the background from Blue to Black... you might just be able to reverse the one you have... the darker color makes the other colors stick out better...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for your feedback!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You've got a great start. I'd add at least a couple more midground plants, as mentioned, and something red. Tiger lotus would look great in there near your driftwood.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you need more hardscape. Either more driftwood or some sort of rock formation. The piece of DW you have now is small and doesn't have much of an impact on your aquascape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts