The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,what would be the better option for 28gal bowfront(pressurized co2 and fert):
- two T5 NO (56w total) or
- one T5 HO (48w)?
Thanks

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Either will be more than enough light. It depends on really how much light you want ...and that will be determined by the quality of the reflectors. As Hoppy likes to put it, if you can look at the fixture and see the bulb plus an identical bulb reflected on either side, you have 3x the light. If not, you don't. That's simplistic, but more or less true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys,what would be the better option for 28gal bowfront(pressurized co2 and fert):
- two T5 NO (56w total) or
- one T5 HO (48w)?
Thanks
I have the exact same tank, but mine is seriously low tech. No co2. I'm actually gutting the tank tomorrow and putting down a substrate suggested to me of compressed coconut hull, top soil, and sand. I'll also be mixing in a little laterite between the coconut fiber and top soil.

I recently picked up an Aqueon 24" dual T5NO for a great price, but it's not that great a fixture. I've been really considering buying an Odyssea 24" DUAL Pro T5HO fixture and just using screen to filter the intense light.

I'm not sure where you're getting that the dual T5NO is going to give you 56W total power and the one T5HO is giving you 48W unless you're going with a really oversized fixture. I have a 24" NO fixture and each bulb only puts out 14W totalling 28W. A single 24" T5HO bulb is going to be rated at 24W so I'm puzzled by those numbers.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 26g bow with 2x24w T5HO's on it, no co2, no fert dosing but Excel daily. I only use one bulb at a time, 4 hours a day, total 8 hour lighting period.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its two T5NO fixtures-two bulbs each- (4x14w) vs one T5HO fixture -two bulbs-(2x24w)
Wow! That seems like a LOT of light. Maybe with the co2 and ferts it's ok, but even a single light HO fixture will give you high light conditions for that tank. With about 3 inches of substrate you're looking at about 17" from the lights to the substrate. I'm looking at maybe getting a dual HO for mine and dimming the light a bit by using some screen like Hoppy suggests. Plus the HO bulbs are more energy efficient so you're saving on power consumption there.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
1 bulb T5HO will draw less wattage...so it's less expensive to run.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
+1

And if you have plants on the bottom, the T5HO will penetrate to them way beter than the T5NO will.
No, all light penetrates equally well, when we talk about white light. Water doesn't absorb enough light to even worry about until you get around 30 inches in depth. Granted that it absorbs red much more than blue, but at 20-24 inches deep, like most tanks, there is no point in even considering "penetration" of the light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts