The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - The last few times I have checked my GH from the tank, it was around 16-18. I have started since adding Mg, as I am trying to figure out the deficiency in my tank.

My question is...is it possible that even with a high GH, Ca dosing may be necessary? My city's water report states:

Alkalinity mg/L as CaCO3 176
Total Hardness grains per gallon 13.7
These additional analyses had non-detectable results in 2005: Copper, Iron, Manganese and Silver

Second - pH readings to determine CO2 levels (pressurized).

I have Seachem's and another brand pH readers/indicators hanging in the tank (one on each side), also API's test kit, and a drop checker (5 dKh water).

Each one tells me something different. Seachem's reads 8.6 (it hasn't changed since I put it in and it is the second one that has done this). The other reads 6.8 and heck if I have seen it change except when I initially put it in.

The test kit reads 7.0 - 7.2 (never greenish at all). My drop checker I can get green - will change to blue by morning with Emperors running.

Which one do I believe?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Regarding the Ca: Chances are extremely good that the majority of your GH is due to Ca, so you shouldn't need to add any. It is also very unlikely that you have a Mg deficiency with that high of GH - though it is possible.

Regarding the pH: If your 5dKH solution is accurate, trust the drop checker. With a precisely-made solution, it is far more accurate for CO2 than the pH indicators. Otherwise I'd suggest a pH meter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.