The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been reading about low-tech tanks and the Walstad method. I am interested in having two tanks, one for a betta and the other for guppies and a few other fish. Convinced the wife to give me part of the living room for two tanks I am gonna have a friend fabricate for me. One is a 60P low-iron glass tank (basically 60x30x36) and the other is a 45P a bit modified (45x30x36). Same height and depth but different widths. I will also have to get the stand made for me.

So I wanted your input on everything! Here's the idea visually:

The top part of the stand should be flushed...but I could easily put a wood top with some waterproof coat?

Light-wise I was thinking about buying 1 big one since they will share height. NICREW ClassicLed Plus (Not sure if I should buy 36-48 or 48-54inc. The total length of the setup should be 43-44inch).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd go for separate lighting just so you can more easily control individual systems, both photoperiod and intensity, and if one tank needs serious servicing, it'll be easier to remove a shorter light over just one tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go for separate lighting just so you can more easily control individual systems, both photoperiod and intensity, and if one tank needs serious servicing, it'll be easier to remove a shorter light over just one tank.
I like that. I just thought it would be "prettier" and cost-effective but like you mention, I can change photoperiod AND if i need to move one tank I will still have a light on the other. TY!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I think about it... wouldn't 2x 15G be better looking? The betta would be delighted to have all that space...and the other tank would have a small school of guppies with maybe 1 cory or 1 pleco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.