The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 12g gallon tank set up for 3 weeks. First week I was adding Seachem stability to speed up the cycle. Water parameters after 3 weeks are zero so i went out and bought 7 mini rasboras. After 3 days two have died. I also have maxi-jet 400 110 gph. Is that too much for the little fish? If i have the maxi-jet pointed and the face of the glass and it creates too much current for the fish so i have the deflector 90' up. Still the fish don't really rest and keep swimming in the current. not sure if they hate it or like it. I also have 7 shrimp in there and they are doing well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All my Rasboras died,but there the only ones that ever did.I have plenty of slow spots in the tank but all they did was cruise the current

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
What did you let your ammonia level rise to before it went back to zero? Maybe you put too big of a bio-load for your tank to handle.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When you were adding stuff to make it cycle, were you feeding the bacteria? Were you adding ammonia?
If not, then no matter how much bacteria in a bottle you added in the first week, over a 3 week period they died and there were not many left when you added the fish.

If you were doing a proper fishless cycle, then you were probably fine adding that many fish; Properly done, the fishless cycle grows a LOT of bacteria.

Exactly which parameters were 0 after 3 weeks? After a good fishless cycle the nitrate is usually sky high, requiring a water change before adding the fish.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
as others have said are u sure no other peramiters changed? yes a current can cause them to die, think if someone made u keep running without rest you will go into exaustion and basiclly have a heart attack this is why its good tohave a high turnover rate without high current they need rest to just like us.

so it sounds like two issues it could have been increase in bioload or cardiacfailure from no rest but without more info its blind guesses...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Film your tank with your phone and show us it (put it on youtube or something). I have espei rasboros (maybe the same as your 'mini rasboros') and they aren't the type of fish that like high currents. With that said, if you put the pump near the top of the tank where they don't normally stay, it might be alright. Do some research on your fish (first thing's first, figure out what they are... perhaps espei or hengeli rasboros) then see what kind of flow they like.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
If all your levels were 0 it's a good chance it never cycled, as you most likely would have had a nitrate reading if it had cycled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts