The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure this topic has come up before, because I remember seeing it before, butt I couldn't find it.

I ordered an XP2 for my 48 gallon tank, because it was $25 cheaper, and also because I will have at least one (maybe 2) extra 2213.

I'm going to be making a full length substrate level spraybar out of pvc, so I could make it out of 1" or ¾" pipe If I need to, and use a 1 inch/¾ inch tee with one 1/2 inch barb for the 2213, and one 5/8 inch barb for the XP2.

I could also make a custom intake the same way (also out of larger pipe- whether it be 1" or ¾") if I needed to because of flow restrictions.

______________2213____
intake----<____XP2_____>----output

My question is, would this work, or could something catastrophic happen?

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the best idea, IMO. The beneficial redundancy of running 2 filters is negated by having only one intake.
You went with an XP2 because of the $25 savings?

Tsk, tsk....

$25?!?
haha!
I didn't see why I should pay $25 for 50 gph more.
plus I'm really cheap. :icon_roll
I guess I could just keep the intakes and outputs separate.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not the best idea, IMO. The beneficial redundancy of running 2 filters is negated by having only one intake.
You went with an XP2 because of the $25 savings?

Tsk, tsk....

$25?!?

If one filter stops running, nothing bad happens that wouldn't happen if the intakes were separate.

The intake could get clogged, but that can happen with just one filter too.

As long as the tubing is double the area of whatever the filters use, it won't affect the flow.

For example, if it is 1/2" ID tubing, you should use 3/4" ID tubing for the portion that is shared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts