The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i would go with one canister filter rated for at least 75 gallons rather than two HOB rated for 50 but thats just me...if your going to do two HOB filters i would say that would be pretty good flow but you still may need a powerhead to avoid "dead spots"...also i personally like marineland Bio-Wheels the best as far as HOB's go:icon_cool

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would go with one canister filter rated for at least 75 gallons rather than two HOB rated for 50 but thats just me...if your going to do two HOB filters i would say that would be pretty good flow but you still may need a powerhead to avoid "dead spots"...also i personally like marineland Bio-Wheels the best as far as HOB's go:icon_cool
cool i appreciate the help i have never used bio wheels so i think i will stick to fluval

·
Registered
296 Posts
I personally like to have at least twice the rated gallons for my filter so like Fajita said, one rated for more gallons would be better. I like to have 2 filters on my tanks if I can just to "make sure" in case one dies or something unexpectedly gets clogged. I have two canister filters on my 55 gallon, each rated for 100 gallons. I have not seen a huge difference between HOB's and other filters I just think go for more filtration.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When you have two you can change one and the other strill is untouched so yo have some bio-capacity that hasen't been messed/w. Then if you do them in two week intervals your bio-bacteria isn't disturbed near as much as if you had only one filter.
I have read a lot of good reviews on the Aquaclear lasting a long time. Plus you decide which bio-media to use in it.
This is one o the highest rated bio-media's that there is.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-512391/seachem-seachem-matrix-bio-media.html
That with a sponge pre filter is everything you need. Many people who have large number of tanks just use sponges for both the prefilter and the bio-media. They say that they only clean the prefilter sponge and just clean the other one every six months and
they say this is much better for them as it's very easy to clean a sponge and it works just as good as ny bio-media.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts