The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just 8 months ago I bought two Finnex Planted Plus 24/7s for my 29 gallon tank. They were enough for a medium light tank and all seemed well. However just this month one lost about a quarter of its leds and the other went nuts, kept putting on a random light show for a day, then totally died. They were not cheap, but my previous lights were CFLs and rock solid for years. With these, I just lost a light bar. And of course the Finnex warranty is only 6 months. Any suggestions on a better, brighter, more reliable led light?

BTW, I also did not like the 24/7 mode for those lights as they were WAY WAY WAY too bright in night time mode (even when only using one).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had similar issues with my Ray 2's. My Monster Ray and my Fuge Ray have been perfect. Something about their daylight LED's that just are not reliable perhaps. I had switched over to BML but they now recently suspended their Aquarium light builds. I just may be turning back to T5 lighting. My 125 growout tank is lite with T5s and my plants grow mad crazy. Problem is I need to many light fixtures which equal more watts. Wattage consumption is the reason I was going LED in the first place. The only other LED manufacture I would lean to is Kessil. They are just expensive but in order to control lights with my Apex, there aren't many options for me with BML out the window.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a BML, great light but it was expensive. I also bought an ecoxotic E-90 on closeout sale for $65. I bought it for the built in ramp timer because it was cheaper than a Bluefish or Apex to control the BML. Ecoxotic is worth $65 or maybe a little more but not the retail price of $265.00. Ecoxotic is not building aquarium lights anymore either. So, Current Satellite Plus Pro maybe would be an option but, it doesn't have the deep reds of the Ecoxotic.

yeah T5s for price are looking better again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting to hear about all these reliability issues with finnex. My stingray (albiet a much simpler unit) has been quiet resistant to my clumsiness. Curious if the Current USA products are more reliable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.