The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought some mini Rose Moss on stainless steel mesh a while ago and had several unexpected additions to the mix - some pelia and two clumps of riccia that grow large and then break off only to start growing again from the base.

These twp clumps of riccia are different colors! they grow at the same rate and pearl at the same time and at the same level but one is the standard bright green and the other is a subdued darker green about the same color as my flame moss.

Here is a pic (and no, the one clump is not in a shadow...)

pearling

a different angle

As I am pretty new to the planted tank scene, this is new to me but could any one tell me if they are the same species or are their different color forms?

Thanks

Bill

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
I believe they are different forms of the same species. I have both, and I think the light green, floating Riccia converted at some point to the darker green, sinking type. I haven't tried to convert it back growing it close to the surface and lots of light. Might be worth a try.

The sinking Riccia is difficult to remove from other ground cover plants... so many hate it thoroughly. I just vacuum it out once in a while and otherwise enjoy it.

Here is an interesting discussion on the topic: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/14233-lets-out-riccia.html

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had not noticed the sinking/floating phenotypes. I do agree that the lighter color form is more attractive.

Bill

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts