The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i replace my two 20 gallon aquariums with a 40 gallon?

I'm leaning towards the 40 gallon, but cannot decide. What do you think? What would you choose?

Why i think i should:
- It'd take up less room
-Bigger community of fish and inverts.
- less equipment
-My focus would be on one tank
-Bigger tank = more stable

Why i kinda hesitate:
-I might get bored of only having one aquarium
-$100+ for aquarium and stand, maybe have to buy more substrate

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
963 Posts
For me, it would also depend on stocking. Are both 20's stocked now with fish that are compatible if combined into one tank? Do you want more fish that will also be compatible and have the same parameters?

I have fish of different sizes so have different tanks to accommodate that. My 20 longs have more nano fish and dwarf cories, my 40b has larger tetras and larger cories that need a little more swimming room. And my 5g's also have nano fish.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Petco has a very sturdy stand called a "Brooklyn". They cost about $50 for the one for a 40g tank. That along/w the $1 per gallon sale gets you the tank and stand for $100.
I have one of those stands for a 10g tank...very sturdy. How that will work out for a 40g tank I don't know. But each leg has an adjustment bolt at the bottom for leveling.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm with thedood. MTS isn't all bad. You can cut some corners here and there. It sounds like you want to try different things and you realize one tank can only take you in one direction; although a 40B is an awesome choice if you stick with one. There's cheap alternatives to substrates. I just picked up 100 Lbs of Safe-T-Sorb for $12 and I'll cap with sand for another $6 or so. etc., etc.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think it depends on what you're looking for...
I have multiple tanks because I can't keep shrimp and nano fish with my angels.

Second...square footage of tanks is slightly larger with 2x 20g long vs 1 40 breeder. This means more planting/scaling area.

Third... Lighting a 40 breeder with higher light will be more difficult... 16" depth vs 12".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Less is not more- More is more- Add more tanks!!! more species! more variables! etc.....

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
40g breeder, buy on $1 per a gallon sale at petco, happens every few months and DIY stand, use black diamond 'sand' ($8 for 50 lb bag at tractor supply co). Can have whole thing for under $80, maybe less depending on where/what type you get for wood for the stand. Or check cregs list, always people selling tanks and/or tank stands may get a great deal and just need a bit of cleaning.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Get a 400 gallon tank but that's it. Stock it with 200 fish but that's all. Plant 100 plants but no more. Eight Metal Halide lights will be all that is needed. You will have to dose prodigious quantities of dry fertilizer. It will take a profligate amount of substrate. You will need about 2,000 watts worth of heaters. Oh, and 40 pound tanks of CO2. Your EI water changes will be a little arduous. But just a little. You can tell your friends it's a forty zero-ish.

Reactions: uptown

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decided to go with the 40! :D Got myself a sweet deal on a 40 long with accessories on Craigslist . I'll be picking it up this Saturday!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.