The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have twisted Hygrophila growth in hard water (300 TDS out of tap), any ideas on nutrient deficiency?

--Osmocote root tabs
--Bright LED flood lights on 9 hr cycle
--Medium CO2 (slowly increasing daily)
--No algae growth in the tank

I am increasing CO2 to see if that resolves it. Even the new growth is twisted and the old growth slowly develops pinholes.

Thanks.

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant

Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Terrestrial plant Water Grass Underwater

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your GH and what are you dosing nutrients wise? What is your substrate?
Thanks for the reply. I am using sand + osmocote root tabs, not dosing anything else as I am only growing some sword plants and hygrophila. I did try adding epsom salts for Mg for 1 month and did not see any effect.
I have hard water so I doubt it is calcium -- it is 30ppm Ca out of the tap. Any idea on what else it could be or a way to prevent twisting?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am using sand + osmocote root tabs, not dosing anything else as I am only growing some sword plants and hygrophila. I did try adding epsom salts for Mg for 1 month and did not see any effect.
I have hard water so I doubt it is calcium -- it is 30ppm Ca out of the tap. Any idea on what else it could be or a way to prevent twisting?
Probably low CO2 and I would think about dosing the water. Try to get a solid 1pH drop from degassed to peak CO2. My personal opinion is, root tabs aren't necessary and dosing the water can be measured more accurately. If your water is real hard, that could be a problem too. But TDS doesn't mean hard water, try to test GH to get a better understanding if your water is truly hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts