The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a TV without internet capabilities and am looking for a cheap way to add it.
Basically i would like to be able to go to whatever site (ie youtube) and check emails.

I originally was thinking of a Roku but that doesn't seem to have a full browser, its limited to its app which may or may not work for the emails and youtube.

I dont use Netflix at all. Mainly mom wants to be able to stream her international tv from a few websites that she found, on the tv.
Would something like a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 bluray player work? It has wifi and ethernet. And some sort of processor that can handle 1080p stuff.
And it seems that the samsung 6000 tv that i got has a usb port so i should apparently be able to plug and play my downloaded movies via that.

So.. looking for advice and recommendations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know if they have come up with a box with a full browser. When I was looking a year ago there wasn't one out. We use a desktop computer for streaming Movies and TV if you look around this time of year you can find one for a decent price. We use it for gaming but it is really there to take the place of cable box and a DVD player. between that and a antenna for local news I haven't had a cable bill in almost 3 years. It is well worth the investment. If you do find something out there Please post it I would be interested to know what is available. My kids have informed me that in the last update Xbox will let you view Youtube but not emails

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I have a Roku, its okay if you watch hulu netflix, and HBO and thats about it. It has loads of channels, but they are never that good. If I were you, just get a Wii. They are really cheap now and will do the job excellently. I wish we had gone that way.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There are several options such as roku, a wii, and apple tv but I don't think any of these have a full browser.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the full browser is what I wanted and the only thing I found was a computer. Throw in a wireless key board and mouse and its not to much worse then keeping track of a couple of remotes

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Oh, you can control a computer with an ipad too. It's pretty neat. The app is called 'Mobile Mouse'. No need for a clunky wireless keyboard.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
That works. You can get a decent one for just web browsing for around $250-$300. I myself have one and use it for stuff like that and presentations on TV's. But you still don't get a bluray player with it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm looks very interesting. Seems that I will need to load XBMC onto whichever device i get and google tv boxes like this would work well, just the lack of ports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts