The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have an Aquaclear 75 on a 10 gallon tank. It is adjustable for 5-20 gallons.
I am going to hurt anything by turning down to low just for an evening or two? I am thinking turning it down will lower the current and allow better access for my evening cleaning crew (snails and shrimp) to get to bits of algae that might otherwise be more difficult for them.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
An AquaClear 70 on a 10 gallon? That's a whole lot of filter for a small tank. The substrate blown all to one side?

Why don't you just set it to a lower flow rate and leave it that way? Find a median, not too strong for inverts and not too weak that filtration/agitation isn't sufficient.

But to answer your question, yes you can turn it down to low without hurting anything, as long as the fitler is still flowing out (if it's quite clogged and you set it to low flow, then it may slow down too much or not move any water at all (if clean and set to low, plenty of flow should still be there from a AC70 on a 10 gallon.

Not quite sure what you meant by saying adjustable for 5-20 gallons, and calling it a AquaClear 75. I am assuming you meant AquaClear 70 Hang on back filter, which is rated for tanks up to 70 gallons. But the 5-20 gallons, you might mean an AquaClear 20?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot, yes, 20 is what I meant. My bad.

I have it on a happy medium right now. But the current is high right on a spot where algae is growing.

An AquaClear 70 on a 10 gallon? That's a whole lot of filter for a small tank. The substrate blown all to one side?

Why don't you just set it to a lower flow rate and leave it that way? Find a median, not too strong for inverts and not too weak that filtration/agitation isn't sufficient.

But to answer your question, yes you can turn it down to low without hurting anything, as long as the fitler is still flowing out (if it's quite clogged and you set it to low flow, then it may slow down too much or not move any water at all (if clean and set to low, plenty of flow should still be there from a AC70 on a 10 gallon.

Not quite sure what you meant by saying adjustable for 5-20 gallons, and calling it a AquaClear 75. I am assuming you meant AquaClear 70 Hang on back filter, which is rated for tanks up to 70 gallons. But the 5-20 gallons, you might mean an AquaClear 20?

·
Dwarf Fish Lover
471 Posts
How did you set your HOB? The best way IMO is to set it on the side edge of the tank and let the water blow one side to the other versus back to front. And I think a AC20 is not too strong even being turned all the way up. The less you mess with filtration the more stable of the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts