The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been going through a lot of boxes of old computer parts I have, from back when I did custom case mods and water-cooling, all that crazy geek stuff... and as I'm going through it all it dawns on me that this stuff would make great additions to high-tech aquarium mods!

For instance, one of my water cooling kits has a volumetric flow meter, which connects to a digital readout that tells me the flow rate in Liters per hour. Also, there's another kit I had that had a really cool LCD thermometer display, designed to look like a speedometer or something, and I had replaced the thermal sensor with one that is designed for liquid, so I was able to read the temperature of the coolant in the reservoir. Then there's a whole bunch of these rheobus-type controllers that are normally designed to work with fans, but many of them can be easily modded to also work on LEDs or cold cathode rays. This opens up moonlight possibilities.

I'm just wondering... have any of you ever modded up your aquarium with PC parts, overclocking supplies, and/or other electronic gadgetry?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Well at least that helps to get this thread rolling! That counts, by the way. But I am looking for something a bit more geeky than that, lol.

Here's a picture of the digital thermometer gauge I found. I'm going to work this into my upcoming 2.5g custom canopy, along with a little rheobus controller that I will use to control the heat-exhausting fans and the moonlights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
^ Well at least that helps to get this thread rolling! That counts, by the way. But I am looking for something a bit more geeky than that, lol.

Here's a picture of the digital thermometer gauge I found. I'm going to work this into my upcoming 2.5g custom canopy, along with a little rheobus controller that I will use to control the heat-exhausting fans and the moonlights.
Careful, don't go to crazy or you'll have to reboot your fish tank every morning! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
always thought of gutting a old CRT and making a tank out if it, ive seen it done with old macs
I've also seen that done with an old tube TV. You know the old kind that were in big honking wooden furniture-like enclosures, that also had an old "hi-fi" system inside? One of those. It was turned into a reef tank. It was pretty cool, actually!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Church, now I know why I like you. You're an even bigger geek than me. :)
LOL, guilty as charged! :biggrin:

Right now I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY-able water level gauge. I found one that sets off alarms when the water gets too low, but that would just be annoying. I'm looking for one that will actually tell me in real time, on a digital LCD, what the level of the water in the tank is. Like a gas gauge in a car!

But that isn't a common thing to "meter" in PC liquid-cooling systems, so I'm not having much luck. Oh well. I really am a geek and I like geeky things. My dream tank would be a LARGE hi-tech tank that was completely computerized and monitorable, everything from water filtration, to CO2 injection, to fertilizing and beyond. Water changes could be done by sending a command to the computer from anywhere in the world. There would be multiple video cameras for monitoring purposes, plus a remote-controlled submersible camera so I could go swimming with the fishes... Oh man, I could go on and on.

If only money grew on trees...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Right now I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY-able water level gauge. I found one that sets off alarms when the water gets too low, but that would just be annoying. I'm looking for one that will actually tell me in real time, on a digital LCD, what the level of the water in the tank is. Like a gas gauge in a car!.
Church with a little bit of digging i'm sure you could hook up an Arduino to monitor a basic float switch. All that's left is to hook it up to some wifi and have it start tweeting the level of your tank. :icon_cool

·
Registered
600 Posts
i was just thinking about using a set of reed switches and an arduino controller for a water level monitor. man i need to get working on my work bench so that i can make stuff like that easier.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
You could easily get a tank fill readout using a car gas tank sending unit. It would have to be calibrated and long enough to touch the bottom of the tank if you want it to be from 0-100%. You could just use a cheap analog gauge. Shows how much of a car guy I am lol. You could probably do the same with a temp gauge for something other than coolant (way to high of a temp) and make some car like gauge setup. They make mounts so it could be in the top of your stand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an idea but no idea how to do it. Church mentioned a monitoring system. What if we had a monitoring system that would send alarms and, reminders, and could be checked from an Iphone?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
LOL, guilty as charged! :biggrin:

Right now I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY-able water level gauge. I found one that sets off alarms when the water gets too low, but that would just be annoying. I'm looking for one that will actually tell me in real time, on a digital LCD, what the level of the water in the tank is. Like a gas gauge in a car!
omg that would be anoying every hour "your water level is 30 inches... your water level is 29.9 inches... your water lever is 29.8 inches..."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.