The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coincidence or normal response?

I turned it up yesterday. With winter kicking in outside the room my tank is in gets a little bit colder so I turned it up. I went from 76 to 84. I have Skirt Tetras, Neons, Cories, Loaches, and Gourami. Tonight I noticed that more than ever-everyone one is very very active. It's very entertaining I'm just hoping everyone is ok. I'm wondering if my cories are dealing coke underneath the driftwood.

Is it normal for fish to become more active the warmer the tank is?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've seen that with my discus. I'd be careful with the Cories though. That's pretty warm for them. Maybe for some of the others too. I don't know for sure about them.

Why did you decide to go to 84?

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
you are likely noticing the effects of increased metabolism due to the increase in temperature.

Fish (generally speaking) cannot regulate their body temperatures; this is why they may have seemed a little slower at 76F.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think you necessarily needed to turn up the heater. They're made to keep the tank at a certain temp...they'll just turn on more often to compensate if the air temperature is causing the water temperature to drop.

I'm pretty sure fish are cold blooded, so the warmer the water, the more active they'll be. And 84 is quite warm...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The downside is that at higher temperatures the fish will have shorter lifespans. And of course, it's not going to do great things for your electric bill.

·
Plant Clown
4,734 Posts
No reason to keep your average community fish in water warmer than high 70's ...unless you're trying to encourage breeding or kill ich.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts