The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CO2 ran out on Sunday a couple hours into my photoperiod. I dimmed the lights to their lowest setting but left them on for the rest of the photoperiod, thinking we'd replace the CO2 the next day. We later realized the regulator had a leak, and then the regulator broke while we tried to fix it. A new regulator is being delivered Thursday. I'm not sure what to do with my lights in the meantime. I left them off yesterday. Can I just leave them off for three more days or should I turn them on for a shorter photoperiod? I've got dwarf hairgrass and mini Christmas moss growing in the tank. The hairgrass has only been growing for 5 or 6 weeks. The light is a Twinstar EA series.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Plants will start to struggle rapidly if you have no lights on all day. 2 or 3 days and you will definitely notice them dying. I agree @jellopuddinpop to just do 4-5 hour light cycles instead. I'd also go get some more co2. No reason to wait on this, get it as soon as possible. Going forward go get a refill when you notice your tank pressure dropping down significantly but before its empty.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't know if I would say it's a given that plants will die if the lights are off. Ambient room light does play an important role in this. :)

Of course ymmv.

I went 3 days without lights when I ran out of co2 and it took awhile to get an exchange/fill up. While the plants weren't exactly perky, they bounced back really quickly after co2 on. The tank is in my fairly bright kitchen.

I also run 3 different low tech planted tanks that have an entire day per week with lights off. 1 of those tanks is in a room that is dimly lit.

Lastly, I've gotten into setting up 3gal bowls as planted "tanks". The lights on these are manual so they go days without a light on them from time to time. Plants don't seem any worse for wear. They are in a room that very rarely, if at all, has the shades opened up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.