The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source for this clay in the Northwest/Bellingham/Seattle?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill, Jon, jp. Already tried the sod farm. I'll call that #.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rex. SS lowers pH/KH etc. But the Turface is inert like Flourite, reportedly. I'm looking for inert to help beat a red algae. I'm going to try some out before committing. Thanks, bob

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I know theres a baseball feild supply place in Enumaclaw that caries Soilmaster - red. its only 10bucks a bag too.

I'd love to know where I can get SMS in this area.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bill for the generous offer. I found a distributor by calling the 800 number you gave. Ewing Irrigation in Tacoma. 253-476-9530. They have a Redmond, nearer Seattle branch which has 350 bags of Turface ProLeague. $12/ ?50lb bag. I believe they have SMS too, but forgot to check. The Redmond phone is 425-867-9530, but I haven't called it yet. Its a 3 hour roundtrip drive, but well worth the shipping savings for me. The price is great too!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Glad you were able to find it locally. $12/50# bag is what I pay down here. And it goes a really long way, but at the cost of being very light weight. So be mindful of how you pour water into the tank, or even move you hand in the water. But it is heavy enough not to get sucked out with my Python.

I used to be stationed at McChord AFB back in the early 80s. Beautiful country up there...when it's not gray and drizzly. ;) I wonder if the 'Tacoma Aroma' is still in the air. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks Bill for the generous offer. I found a distributor by calling the 800 number you gave. Ewing Irrigation in Tacoma. 253-476-9530. They have a Redmond, nearer Seattle branch which has 350 bags of Turface ProLeague. $12/ ?50lb bag. I believe they have SMS too, but forgot to check. The Redmond phone is 425-867-9530, but I haven't called it yet. Its a 3 hour roundtrip drive, but well worth the shipping savings for me. The price is great too!
You are the man! I'm down the street from Redmond. I'm gonna have to grab soem baggies.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Betowess:

Thank you very much for tracking this down. If someone (Blacksunshine?) can confirm black SMS I will work out a way of getting over there.

If you do make the trip Betowess send me a PM first. I am in Edmonds (near the I5/405 branch) and would be happy to invite you over.

Keep in mind the GSAS.org general auction is moved to SATURDAY April 14th.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked to the Redmond store. No SMS, he believes, but they could possibly add some to a truckload. I may run over there tomorrow morning. The address is 8710 Willows Rd. Redmond. I don't know the directions yet. I'll shoot for the April meeting. Thanks, bob

BTW, their phone is 425-476-9530. They do have some of the grey Turface Pro League in stock and also natural colored MVP - which is a little heavier version of Pro League, I believe. He wasn't sure he had the MVP in the dark grey. I am hoping Pro League is inert, not softening like SMS.

PS... Bill, not sure about the "Tacoma Aroma" these days. Some of the pulp mills aren't around. But I could introduce you to some sweet Dairy farm smells - when the wind is in the right direction here in the Skagit valley.:icon_wink

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this stuff is pretty light. I read Bharada only used 75# in his 120 gallon. BTW, that is a great thread to check out. Maybe I'll top dress it with a larger dark grey gravel to help hold it down.??

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
So this stuff is pretty light. I read Bharada only used 75# in his 120 gallon. BTW, that is a great thread to check out. Maybe I'll top dress it with a larger dark grey gravel to help hold it down.??
This is true. After a while the bio film that develops on it will keep it from flying around so easily. But you'll still need to be careful how you aim your hose when doing tank refills.

But ultimately, my best defense against flying substrate is high plant density. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, as far as I can tell, at least in the past according to the Krib, Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil and Profile products like Pro League are pretty much the same stuff - for different markets but both manufactured by or for Profile and both are generally considered inert.

But Lesco (a different company) makes a product called Soil Master Select which is marketed as a Clay Soil amendment and it does lower the pH/KH/GH significantly as reported by some of our Planted Tank folks.

They may look similar, but one should not assume they are the same. They are from different clays and different companies and manufacturing processes.
If this is wrong info, PLEASE, do correct.

Here is the Krib link...
Profile/Turface

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called Ewing Irrigation again this morning to make sure the product was Turface "Gray". Unfortunately all they have is Turface red and Turface brown color (brown looks somewhat like a blonde/tan beach sand when dry). I really wanted the gray color - so back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
IIRC all of these products are made by the same company. I think Rex had posted a link to the actual company that Lesco,profile,aquariumguys and everyone else that gets the stuff from.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to call that distributor. Thats awesome tho that they are willing to order a few bags. The other place I found that carries the brand said I'd have to order a full pallet for him to get some in. But I don't need 50, 50lb bags of SMS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.