The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this is a duplicate of what I may have asked in the past; I am soooo lost! I have Marineland tubing for the C160 filter (which I bought to replace the Fluval 207 ugly black ribbed tubing). It is supposedly 3/4" od and 5/8" id which is the same dimensions as the tubing I got with my Oase Biomaster 250

Does this mean I would use a 16/22 lily pipe size? What size clamps would I need, I was looking at both plastic and metal and they are sized as 3/4" or 1" or ? What other input/output could I use instead of a lily pipe or the stupid ones that came with the Fluval?

I just cannot seem to figure out how to connect a new hose to my Fluval with a good input and output. I used the Marineland hose with the Fluval rubber connection and a hose clamp, but I bumped it yesterday and the hose popped off and leaked everywhere.

Sorry, I am a total noob when it comes to these plumbing issues:frown2: So the more specific, the better :grin2:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Here you go buddy. Check this conversion table out.

I'd assume you wouldn't need clamps to attach the hose to the glass/ss pipes. Should slide over with a snug fit to it. Do some googling and you should be able to find the right ID/OD sizes for your filter hoses.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I figured out the tubing sizes for now. My hose is 3/4" od and 5/8" id so more like a 15.875mm id and a 19.05 mm od. It seems most hoses are not exactly a 16/22 mm, correct?

Any recommendations on what to use for input/out instead of the ugly Fluval 207 pieces? Someone here recommended a duck bill piece for the output. I would guess that I would just slip the hose over that and use a clamp. What could I use for an input though? What do I use as a rim connector. My hose is very stiff and does not want to go up and curve over the side of the tank so I imagine I need a long tube to go from the hose to the input or the output.

How do I do this?:)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The 5/8 ID should slip over the 16mm pipes. The hose OD wouldnt matter as long as the hose ID fits the pipe OD. That 0.125mm difference should help your hose snug up onto the pipe.

Please someone correct me if this is incorrect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is correct, 5/8" is what I used on my flugal 3(05?) with no problems in well over a year.
You can form the clear hoses from H.D. or a hardware store with a heat gun or hair dryer set on high, but you have to go very slowly or it'll suddenly be too melted.
It sounds like you are questioning if you can hook up a clear 5/8" i.d. hose to a glass lily? I have no idea if it would work bcs I used the stock fluval intake/return nozzels, but I did use a heat gun and a cup of boiling water to slip the clear tube onto an inline diffuser and after it cooled off it gripped even tighter.

The stock fluval clamps did not work on the clear tubing at the canister hookup, I just used the right sized metal screw clamp to avoid cutting the tube.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Unless you have a really tough tube, I would avoid the heat gun as too close to ruin something. I find heating a cup of water in the microwave for a minute or so and then letting the tube end soak for a minute is plenty to get the tube end stretched out to fit most things. If it needs more, I stick it in the hot water, then stick long nose pliers in the end and force the jaws open to do even more stretching but then when stretched, it needs to go on quick before it shrinks back which is what really makes it fit tight. The water also acts as a slight lube to help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arghh, I am done with trying to get my Fluval 207 to work with my set up. I removed the Fluvial hose and rim connectors as they are ugly and ineffective. Added Marineland smoke hose to the Fluval valves with a metal clamp then tried a glass lily pipe, another return duck valve I had but I cannot get the hose to work over the rim (rimless) of the tank as it is so stiff. I think my set up must be too tight a space to allow for maneuvering the hose. I tried using the input and output from my Oase Biomaster 250 (as I am using a lily pipe on those), but those hose would not cooperate and in the process it popped off the canister.

Back to a HOB for me! Anyone want a good deal on the Fluval 207!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.