The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Well I have been looking on-line at different pics of peoples tanks and have found that some people have tubing that runs through their substrate. I have also seen this in my LFS planted tank that they have there. I don't really know if it was for nutrition for the plants roots or something like CO2. I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what this might be. Sorry I really don't have any pics of what this looks like. But like I said it is just like a small air tube running through the substrate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sure that it is substrate heating cables like trackhazard suggested. They are a nice idea but I haven't found them necessary plus you must put them in when you first set up a tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have two running down into the substrate.

1 is the substrate heating cables, they are supposed to be good for your plants as they keep the roots warm where as other heaters keep just the water warm and your substrate will stay a bit cooler.

2 is an air wand that gets buried beneath the entire back of the tank. Both of these are completely optional so do what you like. I run it on a timer it comes on when the lights and Co2 go off to help add O2 back into the water. There is no real added benefit to the air wand over any other device be it air stone, or hydor ario.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts