The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Loew's has a few sizes of fairly soft clear plastic tubing. Bring the pump to the store for a better match.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do they have elbows also, need tubing to connect for the water pump 1/2inch, any ideas

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If you jam a pump into that small of a space it will overheat and burn out.
May not happen overnight, but surely shortens the life span of the motor.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I like to use the tubing with the braid inside . Stiff as heck , but I don't have to worry about it bursting . Learned that lesson the hard way on an above ground pool...:crying: As far as elbows and such I check out the lawn irrigation plumbing stuff . Most of those fittings will go into a 1/2 inch tubing . I get all this at Home Depot .

·
Registered
945 Posts
I like braid hose to. It doesn't collapse and it very strong. All the tubing I get is very stiff or in a roll what I have done to get it flexible is to run or soak it in hot water and then pulling it straight. Why it good and hot make all your connects much easier to work with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not opposed to using a blow dryer to increase flexibility of the braided hose. I bought 150 feet for $2 at the thrift store. Not sure what to do with it but couldn't turn down a good deal.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
You may need to give more info on what pump and how you plan to use it. Size, pressure are a couple important items. Need it flexible or solid?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Think about how you want to use the pump, and this may help you figure out how you want to set it up.
A) Permanent install. You will want non-leaking fittings, and a way to remove the pump for service, but it will not be removed very often. Perhaps this is in a sump, or part of a pond system, either in the pond or a remote pump. High quality materials, long lasting will be preferred, even if they cost more. You do not want to have to go back into a system to replace cheap tubing or fittings that are not doing their job.
B) Temporary or mobile use. Maybe you are filling tanks out of a garbage can, or using the pump to drain a pond. In this situation, a leaking fitting might not be a problem, and being able to take the system apart may have advantages. You can test a few different set ups, perhaps keep a few options on hand for different uses or set ups.

Pump may have:
a) Pipe thread- use a barb x pipe thread fitting to connect the tubing to the pump.
b) Barb fitting- If it fits the tubing you want to use, easy to do, no fittings needed. (Hose clamp)
c) Garden hose thread- look in drip irrigation to find a barb x hose thread. DO NOT USE the drip irrigation fittings where the tubing simply slides into the fitting. These loosen and leak. You may have to get an adapter with hose x pipe thread, then a pipe x barb to attach the tubing. This is a good chance to add a swivel fitting in there, so you can more easily remove the tubing if you need to. Or... just use a garden hose with this pump!
d) Oddball thread or other connection that requires an adapter to get it to accept standard pipe thread or barb fittings. Often a pump with weird threads will come with a few adapters, but if not, take the pump with you and find the correct adapter, even if it is brass. That small bit of brass in the system is not going to be a problem.

~ If you will want to remove the tubing often then it may be worth adding a swivel fitting or a union into the set up. Swivel fittings are usually only available with garden hose thread. Unions may be available with pipe thread or slip (glue) where you would have to have a bit of PVC in the system. I do this from sump to tank, in a permanent set up, but I do not usually do this in my mobile set ups, but then I have to handle the pump and tubing carefully to disconnect the tubing when needed.
~ Use a hose clamp on the barbed fitting. A little vaseline or vegetable oil helps slide the tubing over the barb, or dipping the tubing into a cup of very hot water.
~ Read the literature on the pump, or go by the outlet size, and do not try to force the water through too-small tubing. For a short run you could probably get by with smaller diameter tubing (though not too much smaller). Longer runs should use larger tubing. The smaller tubing can create a lot of turbulence in the water, and this reduces the effectiveness of the pump.
~Use thick wall tubing. Any store that sells tubing will have a variety of sizes, wall thickness, materials. Most materials are fine, but avoid the thin wall vinyl tubing- it tends to collapse all too easily. Do not use drip irrigation tubing. It is too thin, but not very flexible. I have used it for aquariums in a greenhouse, where a leaking fitting is not much of a problem, but I sure would not use it in the house!
~ If you can arrange gentle turns, long sweeping turns, this is more efficient than adding 90 degree fittings. It does take some room, though.
~ Teflon tape on all pipe threads. Hose threaded fittings ought to have a washer, but if you want to teflon them, too, that is OK.
~ Test all fittings for leaks before hiding the construction in an inaccessible place. I would not trust a garden hose swivel fitting out of sight. These are not great, may leak. To make a removable fitting in a tight location, use a union. These do not leak when used correctly.

I have found tubing at all the big box hardware stores, including Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace, plus smaller 'Mom & Pop' stores, plus on line.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I used the braided flex tubing along side barbed to threaded adapters. I like to incorporate the tubing into my pump system to cut down on vibration, but prefer rigid PVC for longevity and return fittings.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given the rigid tubing how do you go over the edges and the bends?
Bending it over the edge of the tank?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just bend it over at an angle to the top frame , not just 90 degrees over , and my spray bars are vertical just a bit diaginal so I don't have a problem . Sorta like this very bad drawing...lol

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No heat , just let it bend as relaxed as it will .

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok will give it a shot, what do you guys recomend for suction cups on the glass, they never hold

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Search around for the mag clips , I found them a little cheaper at Ken's Fish . Every penny counts....lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, thanks, amazon is $4 more

Bump: I see eheim tubing 1/2 for .99cents a ft., doesn't look like bad tubing to use for a pump

1 - 20 of 20 Posts