The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I am searching for a source of live Tubifex worms. It would be good if it were local - I'm in Orlando, FL, but if a mail delivery is the way to go, I'd prefer a source on this side of the country to cut down on delivery time.

Many thanks for this information!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I haven't seen live Tubifex worms for a few long years. You could always try live Blackworms, they are much cleaner. If your local fish store doesn't carry them, search online.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can buy frozen "live" foods from most LFS now. I have seen lots of brine shrimp, some various worms, daphnia, etc. at my LFS. I'm finishing a package of frozen brine shrimp now, and plant to buy one of the frozen worms next. The fish seem to quickly decide that really cold almost live food is just as good as the really live stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - but I'd just like to see the Tubifex thriving in the tank as part of an ecosystem as well as something for the other inhabitants to snack on. If they're cleaned in fresh water beforehand and the tank is kept clean I can't see that there would be issues. I will seek out black worms also - would be nice to have both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How about microfex worms? They're a cousin to your Tubifex worms. I know a seller that sells microfex/daphnia cultures as well as grindal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting! They look so much like Tubifex I wonder if they are in fact Tubifex that have been given an image makeover. Yes, please send me information about this seller. Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
of all the frozen foods (blood, tub, brine, daphnia) i have tried, i have found the the fish at least interested in tubefix worms. they go insane for bloodworms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts