The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Fortunately for me, SoCal really doesn't have "seasons". It is literally sunshine 24/7.

18g that will soon be replaced by a 30g next week with feeder sarasa comet, diy filter and a few violet stem Elephant ear Taro plants(?).

My son started to practice with his band just as I started to video tape so i cut it short lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do whiskey barrels with liners count? If so, then I have smaller water lilies such as Helvola and Paul Harriot in each of my barrels as well as iris versicolor. There's also some curly leaf pond weed in them. I gave up putting fish in them years ago when I found it too difficult to get them out in the fall.

·
Registered
762 Posts
~24 gallon plastic barrel-looking tub, along with several tanks including a 75 gallon will be on my patio this summer... maybe others, depending on what we find.

hardy lilies, pickerel, water hyacinth are some of the planned plants

goodeids, dwarf panda guppies, Heterandria formosa, possibly some Girardinus falcatus and/or Horadandia atukorali, maybe some Neocaridina...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Planning on raising up some killie fry in some tubs I got last year I have a large horse through and a plastic tub made to look like a whisky barrel. Want to experiment with breeding CPOs outside too. Java moss and watersprite baby!

·
Registered
118 Posts
40 gallon container
Comet Goldfish
There is also some kind of catfish that someone gave me that I have. He is 6 inches or so and is doing fine so far.
I am going to see what kind of plants I can get, but I want to get vallisneria, a water lily, and then some hornwort. There are lots of other plants but I will have to see what I can do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Planning on raising up some killie fry in some tubs I got last year I have a large horse through and a plastic tub made to look like a whisky barrel. Want to experiment with breeding CPOs outside too. Java moss and watersprite baby!
What kind of killies? I was thinking killies also. What are your normal day/night temps in spring and summer?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Right now I have A. australes, F. amieti, and Ep. dageti. They are pretty old in terms of killies and are not producing many eggs these days. Not sure if I will try with them or get some new eggs. If I go with eggs I might still do australes, but I have always wanted to do blue gularis or there is a guy I know from Poland that has an absolutely beautiful strain of F. gardneri makurdi that he selectively breed for long fins. Although I am hesitant to get killie eggs shipped from over seas cause 90% of eggs I got this way turned up to be belly sliders.

I live in Maryland so I say after Mothersday there is little chance of frost until fall. Killies are pretty darn hardy and can tolerate colder temps better than most tropical fish. One thing to consider is they arn't called top minnows for nothing either pick a species that inhabits midtank such as australes or construct screen tops so birds wont pick off all you killies like fish in a barrel :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.