The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever use Tri Sodium Phosphate to clean hose and plumbing hardware?

I'm going through some plumbing redesign on the 55 and would like to use as much ridged PVC to incorporate a few new goals. Trying to make this simple for future cleanup to not take 4 hours to do a good job.

Used TSP in the past to clean beer making equipment. It did a real good job of cleaning the Kegs and HW. Of course this was mostly stainless gear not PVC and Plastic.

One goal would be to allow a closed loop to pump TSP through the equipment connections and hopefully not have to do a 100% tear down to clean the plumbing. This would allow a good chem scrubbing of the CO2 reactor.

But I wonder how it would effect UVS seals and such.

I'm not considering running this through the canister, not to worry there. But on off cleanings days I could use this to back flush the canister on occasion.

This closed loop could have quick disconnects attached so once the pump is disconnected the cleaning pump could be attached at the same location.

Procedure such as:
Run TSP for 10 to 15 min in a closed loop.
Hook up WC hoses for final rinse and discharge of system.

We used an Iodifor solution to do the final sanitation but I'll probably not need to do this step with the aquarium. :)

A couple of additional connectors could be added for WC hoses and be used as the discharge/rinse connection.

This idea is in an infant state but been in the back of my mind for a while...

Sean

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean rigid PVC as in plain white schedule 40 pipe?
Yep. The only real unit that worries me is the UVS and the cannister so I may not include the UVS in the cleanup loop. Well see.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would not worry about cleaning it with something as harsh as TSP. In fact I would not worry about cleaning it at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i usually clean anything in my tanks (fake plants in the past...rocks...etc) with plain cheapo store bought white vinegar. its less then $3.00 a gallon at walmart and it will kill most of the algae and will clean about anything. not to mention its all natural so it will wash right off with water. and if anything does get into the tank it will just raise your acidity a bit. no harsh chemicals to possibly contaminate the tank

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I hear ya Rex but wonder what will build up over months of use without something to scrub the muck out. I can't imagine trying to get brushes in there without making it a PITA. So maybe a simple high pressure back flush every once in a while is all that is needed?

I have to do some changes on the reactor so I'm going to start there and work my way back.

I'm thinking of splitting the output and retaining a single return. If i do this the single 2026 may not cut it.

Plus hooking up some WC connections. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts