The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed their design assistance staff about design/price, i have a feeling it is gonna be $$$.That being said i think it is one of the only options available to be in terms of a custom stand cabinet due to the fact that I don't have space/tools to be undertaking any sort of woodworking project.
and it looks like the future

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I notice that the examples shown in that website all use sumps under the tank, which nearly fill the available volume under the tank. Also, there are no doors on the stands, so the volume under the tank can't be used to hold things like fish food, fertilizers, test equipment, nets, etc. Perhaps there is an easy way to add a door to that type of stand? Other than that, the concept is very good, especially for bottom drilled tanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never built an aquarium stand outta this stuff. However, we use it at work all the time for modular fixturing and it is some strong stuff. With the right fixtring hinges could easily be installed for doors. (Possibly outta sheet metal? to keep the look and feel consistent) If the price is right its very nice and sleek looking when assembled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from what I can't find on the website there are a variety of hinges that could be good for a door application. I am particularly excited about tha adjstable feet that would help level the tank

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I hope some one decides to make a stand this way, with a door, and with a wood skin, for appearance, and, of course, does a thread here to show us how it was done.

·
Registered
285 Posts
May be able to source doors / other parts from this company:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/index.jsp

While I haven't verified the dimensions, I'm pretty sure they are using tslots to form the frame of their synergy cabinet system. The system is modularized so you can buy just the door kit w/ hinges, just the wood panels, drawers, etc.

I have a couple of these as audio racks and they are impressively solid pieces with furniture grade finishes (although we're talking 50lb amps not 250lb aquariums).

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
This is a cool idea.

I think a stand would look cool too with the metal exposed, and with finished plywood side panels and doors suspended flush with the frame.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The doors are very easy to make along with drawers and I think it would look nice with like a black plexi slid into the frame work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after talking to 80/20 it is going to cost $300+ to build a stand for my 30cm cube. That is bare bones no doors hinges etc. As much as i want to work with this stuff it has turned out to be too expensive, at least for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts