The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any advice on why this algae is appearing in my tank? I did a 10 % water change yesterday and a 50% on saturday.

I dose the seachem line and follow their protocol from their website.

I dose Co2 ( I speculate it is due to low CO2 levels, but idk )

I feed my fish every other day to avoid over feeding.

Any advice would be helpful!

ps. I do leave my lights on for 10 hours a day. so that could also be a cause. But wouldn't plants utilize all the nutrients in the water if the lights were on longer?? I need some brushing up on basic bio of the planted tank

·
Registered
532 Posts
The colour of it makes me think its cyanobacteria (BGA), hard to tell from the pic....
Can you provide more details of your CO2 - KH/pH??
I also think your lights are on too long.

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,370 Posts
Hi Ctross09,

Here's a great guide for brushing up on basic bio as you call it ..
Darkblade's Primer

Yes, longer lights will allow you to utilize "all the nutrients," but what happens when you've utilized all of it and you're running on empty? Darkblade makes a great analogy about cars/gas/maintenance. You didn't mention what light you have, but if you have a specialized light and/or running that light longer than you should, then depending on what part of seachem's line you're using, you're not using enough. The same applies for co2. When you said you 'dose', I'm assuming you're using liquid co2 (excel)? If that's the case, again, based on your light period/intensity, it may not be enough.

·
Registered
881 Posts
What kind of light do you have? What kind of co2 are you dosing and are you injecting pressurized co2? Have you been keeping up with your water changes before that 10%? What size is your tank? What kind of filter do you have? Have you been cleaning your filter? Have you been removing plant and fish waste along with your water changes. How long has your tank been set up? That does look like slime algae. Blue/green algae.

Bump: If that is slime algae, stop dosing anything with phosphates and try to feed frozen foods only. A lot of freeze dried, pallets and flakes has been treated with phosphates to preserve it longer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a triple strip light with three floromax plant bulbs. I dose with a DIY CO2 system that pumps in about 1 bubble/sec. I do 50% water changes every saturday and a 10% water change on wednesdays. I have not been cleaning my filter. I do siphon my substrate with the 50% water changes. I try to remove fish/plant waste ( but maybe not enough??) My tank has been set up for over a year, but have recently re-structured it ( added soil to the substrate). I do feed with flakes, but do so every other day to avoid over feeding. My lights were very old ( 5 yo) and I just received new bulbs today so my lighting situation has changed ( for the better). Now that my lighting is better my plants will be able to better utilize my ferts?? That is what im hoping. I cant imagine its an overfeeding problem because I feed conservatively every other day. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ctross09,

Here's a great guide for brushing up on basic bio as you call it ..
Darkblade's Primer

Yes, longer lights will allow you to utilize "all the nutrients," but what happens when you've utilized all of it and you're running on empty? Darkblade makes a great analogy about cars/gas/maintenance. You didn't mention what light you have, but if you have a specialized light and/or running that light longer than you should, then depending on what part of seachem's line you're using, you're not using enough. The same applies for co2. When you said you 'dose', I'm assuming you're using liquid co2 (excel)? If that's the case, again, based on your light period/intensity, it may not be enough.
Thanks for this link!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The colour of it makes me think its cyanobacteria (BGA), hard to tell from the pic....
Can you provide more details of your CO2 - KH/pH??
I also think your lights are on too long.
my test kits are very old, so i will have to wait until monday to get my new test kits in to say. I will update soon

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's probably not an overfeeding problem. All I'm saying is that flake foods contains phosphates and can contribute to more algae. You may be dosing too much phosphates within your fertz. Too much water changing can be a problem too when phosphate and silicate can both be found in treated water. Some water source has less phosphates than others. You may have everything right for months or maybe even years but once you unbalance something, everything is adding in. What kind of fertilizers are you using? If you are dosing anything with phosphates, I advise you to stop because slime algae is a very good indicator of phosphate over dosing especially when you change water weekly.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That is cyano.

Go back to basics, ensure you have 20ppm nitrate, 2ppm phosphate and plenty of potassium. Then add your traces every other day. Stabalise CO2 at 1ph drop between the photo-period start and end and keep kH at around 4dkh. Aerate at night to ensure excess O2 at night and make sure you have a nice medium circulation to prevent any 'dead spots' in the tank.

The BGA will disappear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.