The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice on a diffuser. I will be using the Atomic diffuser by GLA. My question is, they make an inline version and an in tank version. Which is better?

I can put the in tank lower inside so that bubbles are in the water longer, but someone told me that the inline version diffused much faster and was way better. The output will be just under the surface so escaping bubbles will have significantly less hang time though.

Experts only please, I would prefer a solid answer over a bunch of speculation or assumptions. I simply dont know enough about the chemistry behind Co2 diffusion to know how it works, all i know id my plants love it and it keeps the algae away! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went with the inline version. Works great, dont see any bubbles and it keeps the equipment out of the tank which is always good. Check out theshrimplab.com. They have the same diffusers for $10-15 cheaper than GLA. Shrimp labs shipping is a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah it should be. When I used the in-tank version I could see the bubbles coming out of it and gave my tank the "7-up" look. I switched to the inline version and I dont have any bubble any more. So Id say the inline version diffuses the CO2 better.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ill throw my 2¢ out there, your tryin to see whats more efficent but in reality its so minute you would have more of a loss/gain just by how much surface movement u have. if your tryin to get 100% neither will work to it although there are very good i use both btw prefer inline also, so if 100% is goal make a reactor! or just get what one u can use. so once again what works for one tank WILL NOT work for everyones tank so pick what works best for your application, shimplabs are quality products havent had any probs with mine and for the price you save from her u can get both to see what u like/have a back up vs gla's

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for your .02

Yeah You nailed it, I was just curious if there was a noticeable margin between the 2. If it is truly that small then I should be good either way. I'm going to go with the In-line for now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
in-line is better for sure. You just have to use it the right way. You must set it up so that the flow from your filter tubing at the diffuser is flowing downward. That way the co2 bubbles are trying to "swim up-stream"(against the current) since they float. Thus they come into contact with more water molecules for a longer period of time, than they ever would with the in-tank version. Also, the bubbles usually are in the filter tubing so long, that they are completely dissolved by the time they enter your tank. (AKA 100% diffusion!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.