The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low tech tank.
No real algae problems.
Black Algae now attacking only My Java fern which is attached to drift wood, all other plants are planted in the substrate, a bunch of crypts, corymbosa, etc.

I use excel, root tabs and a liquid fert. Good water flow. Why just that plant?

Mollies, mts, and bamboo shrimp are the stock.

I want to figure out why so I can fix it

Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You might want to start listing your tank specs. Tank size, light type, photo period, ferts, co2 etc . Java fern it's not a fast grower in general. It's it directly under the light? When I had my anubias under direct lighting I kept getting gsa but once I move it to the corner the gsa stopped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30 gallon, 2.5 watts per gallon, 6500k 8.5 hours of light, no co2, excel, use 3 cfl in reflectors directly over tank, all plants are directly underneath light.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
There is a lot of differnce between a 30L and a 30T tank.
But I can't see the usual reflectors fitting three side by side on a 30 so I'll guess
and say you have too high of Watt bulbs in there. The 13W ones are good for
tanks 18" or less from top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Possibly an unhealthy plant. Root tabs aren't going to help the Java Fern and it possibly isn't getting enough nutrients. What liquid fert are you using?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All plants including the fern look healthy. The fern is attached to the driftwood and to my surprise is growing rather fast actually. The fert is just a general all purpose fert. I don't wanna get fancy. I've ordered flourish and flourish potassium. Will be using that soon I got the potassium for the hygro that shows some slight potassium deficiency on older leaves. I'm nervous to drop down lighting to 13 watt bulbs cause I have some micro sword which is high light I believe. The tank is a tall 30 gallon. And the reflectors fit nicely. I have a dsb

·
Registered
91 Posts
They say Micro swords are high light but they reall are medium light and need co2

·
Registered
91 Posts
They really need injected co2 from what ive heard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts