The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this and its safe to say that my knowledge is pretty limited at this point (go easy on me). I figured I would start small, with a 10 gallon tank. After setting it up, I finally stocked it with a few fish. I currently have 3 fire barbs and had 10 neon tetras. Unfortunately its been a little over 24 hours and only 3 tetras remain. Considering I haven't found any floating fish, it is safe to assume that the barbs have been snacking. I was a bit worried this would happen, but was assured that the barbs were not that aggressive and I wouldn't have a problem. Just watching the fish interact however, the barbs seem to be much more aggressive then I thought. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do??? Thanks

· Registered
221 Posts
I don't know the fire barb, but a quick search shows it as an alternative name to a fire rasbaro, which is a very small (<1.5") and timid fish. There is also a fire red rosy barb, which is much bigger and kind of aggressive.

If it is the rosy barb, they are too big for a 10g tank, or at least will be when they grow. Unless the barbs are large enough to eat the neons whole, I would think you would at least find parts of the fish, and if they are big enough to eat them whole then it really shouldn't be a surprise if they eat them. Even peaceful "community" fish will eat other fish if they are small enough to easily fit in their mouth.
If you have 3 barbs eating 7 neons in one day the barbs should look noticeably full. If the barbs are big enough to do that (and it is the rosy barbs you have) you should probably return them because they are too big for your tank. Then you can get some more neons and/or another school of small fish. (danios, rasbaros, tetras, at least most of those species.) Two schools of maybe 6 small fish is probably as much as you want to do in a 10g, that might even be a bit much.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Williams - The barbs are about an inch and 1/2 long at this point, much bigger than the tetras. I was thinking the same thing at the fish store and even asked the guy specifically about that. He told me that they wont bother them, but I guess he was wrong lol. I did a fishless cycle before introducing fish to the tank, for about 3 weeks, and tested the water before buying the fish.

Erolas - I couldn't find anything about the "fire barb" either. After doing another quick search, I think they are actually rosy barbs, like you mentioned. Honestly now that I'm looking at them, one looks more "full" than the others. I guess I will try to return them if possible. I wasn't aware they would grow that much. Kinda bummed out, but looks like I'll be starting over.

Thanks guys

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initially that's what I thought might be the problem. When the first couple disappeared, I checked the filter but nothing was stuck in there. I purchased an Aqueon tank which came with a filtration system and that's the one I've been using.

· Registered
406 Posts
I might be inclined to check the filter again. I had a couple white clouds who used to get into the filter by jumping into it(HOB). I had to check my filter and remove the media three times to find them.

Just seems odd to me that barbs would eat that many neons in 24 hours - unless the neon are really tiny like 1/4 inch.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are about that size, 1/2 inch at the most. I'm going to check the filter again though, like you suggested.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with the fish? Should I try to add to what I already have or possibly look toward starting over?

Thanks again.

· Registered
211 Posts
Neons are very common, and as such, are notoriously of poor quality. A lot of people on here have had issues with keeping them alive one you get them home from the store. I would almost think that they neons perhaps died on their own and then the barbs scavenged on the bodies. Most fish will eat dead fish if given the opportunity. Rosy barbs get quite big, so I would try to return them to the store if possible. You're limited in a 10 gallon, but a school of small tetras would be fine (I'd go with 10 or 12 of one type than two groups of 5 or 6), or a few guppies/platies, maybe a betta. Zebra or leopard danios are pretty easy to come by so you could do a small group of those, or a dozen celestial pearl danios would be cool.

· Registered
4,347 Posts
what are the water parameters?
ph?
no2?
nh3?
temperature?

neon tetras are kinda funny to cycle a tank with they usually don't fair well in a new setup... my bet would be they died in the new tank and the barbs made a meal out of the carrion...

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Webgirl - That could definitely be the case. I think I'll have to look into some of the stocking suggestions you made. Would a betta work with other fish though? I was always told to keep them separate from everything else lol.

F22- I'm out of testing stuff, but from what I remember from the last test I did everything seemed to be in the appropriate ranges, I have to get to the store and pick up a new kit. I'm beginning to think the tetras just didn't make it and became a floating snack for the barbs. Any thoughts on what I could do with the barbs? Many seem to think they are going to get to big for the tank. Any thoughts?

· Registered
221 Posts
Bettas are fine in community tanks. In fact most of the time you have to worry about other fish nipping on their tails rather then the betta being aggressive. Bettas are only aggressive with other bettas, with the possibility of other fancy and colorful fish that they might mistake for another betta.

· Registered
60 Posts
I've never had Neons, but from what I've read here in other threads, F22 is right. The consensus in alot of forum threads is that neons prefer well established tanks.
I want to get a small shoal of these for my 29g, but I'll been holding off for a few months to let the tank totally settle in.
From what I've read, if you can find them, Cardinal Tetras are a hardier lot, and similar in appearance. I haven't seen them available in any LFS I've been to though.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Erloas - That's good to hear, I've always like bettas and would definitely consider putting one in my tank. Just have to find some other compatible fish to mix in.

Rhstranger - I wish I knew that before I bought them lol. They look pretty cool in the tank and I will eventually look into getting more.

I'm really leaning toward starting over with this tank by getting the barbs out of there. Would that probably be the best direction to go?

· Registered
1,494 Posts
I definitley would go with cardinals instead of neons... You got quite a few options for fish, there is some very nice small fish varieties that would fit perfectly in your tank, and don't forget some shrimp :)
And your LFS should be able to take rosy barbs back or trade them for some other fish...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.