The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 29g tank, its about a year old. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I added some fish, and since then, i have consistently lost 1-2 fish a week. Some have jumped out of the tank in the night. The others, well heres what they do. They start swimming all weird, sometimes upside on, sometimes vertical and every which way.

Like I said, tank was cycled a year ago. Currently ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate between 20-40ppm (I'll be changing the water in 3 days, as usual)

Last week I lost a cherry barb, a few days ago my dward gourami went, and just now lost a neon tetra.

This is what I currently have left:
3 silver tip tetras
10? (I have only seen like 4 lately) neon tetras
3 cherry barbs
1 BN pleco and snails

Also my tank is med planted. No co2. Could anyone help me out?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, i use liquid test and its no expired. Haven't added any meds, but I think I remember seeing some of them breathing heavily. Would you recommend any meds? Sorry I'm still a bit of a noob

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Nope, i use liquid test and its no expired. Haven't added any meds, but I think I remember seeing some of them breathing heavily. Would you recommend any meds? Sorry I'm still a bit of a noob
I use tetra lifeguard all in one treatment, I like it because it doesn't dye the water blue and it treats bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic diseases. I've used it in planted tanks before and my plants weren't bothered by it. It also doesn't require daily water changes. Did you add the neon tetra recently by chance?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use tetra lifeguard all in one treatment, I like it because it doesn't dye the water blue and it treats bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic diseases. I've used it in planted tanks before and my plants weren't bothered by it. It also doesn't require daily water changes. Did you add the neon tetra recently by chance?
I will def look into that. I added the neons about 4 or 5 years

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I am not sure if all the symptoms add up to one problem. However, taking one think at a time, lets see where it goes.

Silver Tip Tetras can be a little more of a pest than some other fish. They sure are not as aggressive as Tiger Barbs, but there is the possibility that they are pestering the other fish (including each other) enough that some have jumped out of the water to get away. Once this problem is solved I would suggest increasing the size of your school to at least a dozen fish.

Fish can also jump out of the water when some of the parameters are not good.
They tend to scratch themselves also. pH, and ammonia are the main problems that do this.

An occasional dead fish suggests a slow moving disease like Mycobacteriosis or an internal parasite. Could also be old age. Given that some new fish were added and then this started it could well be that they brought in a parasite. I would sure worm the fish, and, in the future, quarantine all new fish and treat them for internal parasites and any other issues before adding them to the main tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts