The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my first post! I'm a beginner at this hobby, and while I have been doing tons of research and have been trying my best not to just rush in recklessly, I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you how difficult it is to find a clear answer about just about anything regarding the hobby. Thus I proceed with trepidation and excitement:
I have a 10 gallon tank that now has a Dwarf Gourami and six Pygmy Corydoras. I added the gourami about 2 days after starting the tank, and then three corys about 2 weeks later and the last three the day after that when I realized three wasn't enough after all. (For anyone interested, my gourami's name is Gorlami, and the corys are Fus, Ro, Dah, Su, Grah and Dun)

Already my tank has kind of strayed from my initial plan; I had originally intended to get some (three) bigger corys for the bottom of the tank, but the guy at the store convinced me to get the pygmys.. I was a sucker and didn't realize til I got home that their behavior is quite different from other corys and they now check a box I didn't intend them to check. (sidebar: can I still get guppies?) Regardless, I'm committed to the little guys now.

I want to get some shrimp to help with tank maintenance, and I was thinking five would do as they seem to be sold in groups of five, but would that be too many? Would I still have room for some guppies? If I should even get guppies at this rate since the pygmy corys kind of take up the same space they would? And what about the bottom of the tank now? Will I have room for a few of something else, like maybe some loaches?

Also, my tank has started to grow some wavy white specks along the glass, which I scraped off, but I expect it will come back. As far as I can tell that's not necessarily a bad thing(?) but it's even moreso making me want to get something that would enjoy cleaning it.

Sorry for the length, and thanks to those who read this haha :) Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Here's my tank:

·
Registered
236 Posts
With the dwarf gourami in there and the awesome little pygmy cory colony, I wouldn't add guppies. The Dwarf gouramis are big eaters, so have a larger bioload .. as do guppys (they both eat and poop a lot). The other reason for not having guppies and your gourami in close quarters like that, is the gourami can get aggressive. Especially with any fancy colorful male guppies. Not as much of an issue in a 20 gallon but still happens. I finally got rid my gourami because he was beating up my females in the 20. I had moved the males out a while ago to reduce the massive amount of guppy fry...
A pair or so of guppies in any tank can easily get overrun in a period of 2-3 months, depending on predation of fry.

Now, this is all under the assumption you have a male dwarf gourami (almost always what they sell at your local fish store). If by some chance you were lucky enough to get a female, you'd still potentially have a bioload issue, but not the aggression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the dwarf gourami in there and the awesome little pygmy cory colony, I wouldn't add guppies. The Dwarf gouramis are big eaters, so have a larger bioload .. as do guppys (they both eat and poop a lot). The other reason for not having guppies and your gourami in close quarters like that, is the gourami can get aggressive. Especially with any fancy colorful male guppies. Not as much of an issue in a 20 gallon but still happens. I finally got rid my gourami because he was beating up my females in the 20. I had moved the males out a while ago to reduce the massive amount of guppy fry...
A pair or so of guppies in any tank can easily get overrun in a period of 2-3 months, depending on predation of fry.

Now, this is all under the assumption you have a male dwarf gourami (almost always what they sell at your local fish store). If by some chance you were lucky enough to get a female, you'd still potentially have a bioload issue, but not the aggression.
Thanks for the advice. I guess it turned out to be a good thing I accidentally got these corys in place of guppies! My gourami is pretty chill; every now and then he chases the corys but not in an overtly aggressive manner. That being said, what you said about brightly colored guppies would probably be the case with my gourami.
Still unsure about adding shrimp or anything else though. I know right now I definitely need to wait, as my ammonia levels have ticked up a bit and I'm working on getting them back down... possibly as a result of adding all 6 corys in a matter of 2 days, I guess.
I was told it's too soon for a water change as my tank is still getting established, so I've been dosing with API Quick Start and Stress Zyme.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With a tank that size, slow changes / additions are always good practice. It lets the bacteria in the filter catch up, and helps reduce ammonia spikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts