The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
A couple of things stand out to me.
1) You say your tank is 130g but the dimensions of 6x1x1.5 feet equal roughly 70 gallons.
2) You have a 48" fixture on a 72" long tank. You have a foot on each end not getting adequate light.
3) I don't understand the comments about not having enough plants and having a guaranteed algae outbreak, you can run it like a massive grow out tank. Your tank is only running under 1 wpg of t5ho in a fixture that is too short. Having Co2 doesn't restrict a tank to only having super high light, all plants will appreciate the co2 no matter the light intensity.

I don't think you have enough light to constitute your tank as "high-tech" and in my opinion I think your plant choices will work well in that respect. You can also raise your light fixture to create a larger area of light coverage and also if you find you have to much light in one spot. None of the plants you posted need a lot of light anyways. I think it will work out as long as you do your part on up-keep and monitor growth habits/patterns. Remember that rizome plants (anubias, ferns, etc.) to only plant the roots and leave the rizome exposed to the water clolumn or it will begin to rot. Frequent water changes will help keep potential algae at bay also.

With the lower amount of light that you have and the addition of Co2, I wouldn't be to concerned with filling it up 100% from the start. Especially with the mostly slow growing, low demand plants in your list. I would be more concerned about establishing a good routine for your tank (photoperiod, co2 amount, water changes, your root tabs should be fine for now but you will observe the need for those or additional nutritional needs through plant growth).

I'm not sure of the look you are trying to achieve but sparsely planted large tanks, imo, look good with a nice big show piece of driftwood accepted by the plants surrounded by light colored sand.

I totally agree with you

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow your tank looks good man!! My plants came in from www.theplantguy.org today so I went ahead and did some planting and here is how it turned out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have access to local waters, that have live plants? load up on locals, then replace them with the pretties you want, as you can afford them ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Do you have access to local waters, that have live plants? load up on locals, then replace them with the pretties you want, as you can afford them ?
Nothing local here that can survive in 78 water.... All cold water... I bought 100$ worth from theplantguy.org and I'm seeing some nice growth the sag has baby plants coming up, Amazon swords have their new submersed growth starting to come through... Hygro clippings are growing taller.... The crypt I haven't seen much growth and have been in the tank longer along with the microsorum... Also have a bunch of algae starting on the back glass of the tank.... And I picked up 3 clown loaches plan on maybe 2-3 more

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Starting to see the crypt sprout baby leaves!!! Still no growth on the microsorum

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking good!

Crypts have an adjustment period, but once they're happy and adjusted, they usually do very well and will eventually send out runners giving you baby plants. The plants you chose will fill in well with a bit of time, so the tank will look pretty full once they get going. The amazons in particular will get quite large, and you actually have the space for them to grow to their full potential. They'll be amazing! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm actually having issues with my swords right now

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes I have!!! I think my problem is no macros.... Ordered some the other day

·
Registered
96 Posts
Macros are prob right. I sometimes forget that with low light since I tend to have a higher bioload and only need to add them on my high light setup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I finally received my 500g of micro+macro+trace dry ferts to mix up... Did so according to the instructions and have been dosing as specified for 2 days now but these are photos of my tank..... Water went cloudy when I cleaned my tank and there are large amounts of algae mostly black on my crypt and long "hairy" stuff any idea on what I should do or keep dosing these ferts for 2 weeks and see what happens... I just want clear water and healthy plants... I also got a co2 reactor still need to get a proper regulator and a ph controller anyways here are some pictures input is WELCOME
This is the return pipe

This seems to be my only sword that's doing ok I also added a root tabs under the plants

This is some of the hair stuff and the black on the crypts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would ease back on the Fert dosing until the co2 is in place and running.

Little pinholes in leaves like that signify potassium deficiency however. What are the ratios you are dosing your macros in? Or how many gram of each and how often?

How many hours are lights on at this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I would ease back on the Fert dosing until the co2 is in place and running.

Little pinholes in leaves like that signify potassium deficiency however. What are the ratios you are dosing your macros in? Or how many gram of each and how often?

How many hours are lights on at this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's premixed from an online company.... Was full dosing... I'm half dosing now and lights were at 12 but are now at 7

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A note about Amazon Swords - The ones I bought at Petsmart were (I believe) grown immersed rather than submersed so after planting under water, the outside leaves yellow, brown and/or develop holes, while new leaves begin to grow just fine. Just be patient and trim any outer leaves that brown back to the stem. (I think they're grown this way (leaves out of water) to achieve the fastest growth in the least amount of time).

Also, low, medium, high tech all requires balance and balance can either be easy or very elusive. By 'balance' I refer to the numerous variables in the planted tank...the amount of light, the amount of chemical ferts, the amount of organic ferts relative to bio-load, filter and tank maintenance relative to the number and type of plants.

Personally, I'm leaning towards low tech, leveraging as much natural organic fertilization as possible and only adding chems as absolutely needed. I feel this is better for the fish. It seems to me that many get so focused on plants and rapid plant growth they almost forget it's a FISH tank. For me, the fish are the focus and the plants merely enhance their environment (and the display) and make for purer water for them. Oh, I want to plants to be healthy and thrive, but I don't want rapid growth at the expense of the health and well being of the fish.
In any case, I feel the key is balance - if you're gonna blast high light and co2, adjust ferts accordingly while also taking into account the organic inputs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Since I started half dosing and 7hr light period the back of my tank has went from solid algae to this

I'm also seeing a lot more growth in my plants!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
starting to see some yellowing at the tips of my older amazon sword growth.... should i up the ferts a little bit? i was dosing 2.5 cap fulls aprox (63ML) off the start with 12hr photoperiod... changed to 7 hr photo period and 1 cap ful (25ML)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts