The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
The issue is that you're probably going to grow algae. Your setup is designed for a higher plant mass than what you actually have. As for the cost of plants - plant prices fluctuate quite a lot depending on not only species, but varietal, not to mention availability for your area. Large crypts are expensive, and while Java Fern isn't usually too pricey, I've seen large ones go for quite a bit at auction. What you should do is get some easy stems that will grow floating (like hornwort or Myriophyllum mattogrossense) and/or one of the larger floaters like frogbit or something similar to start using the resources you're providing before the algae steps in. Both the easy stems and floaters should be inexpensive.

· Registered
96 Posts
I think the main thing is to stop dosing the ferts since you've only got the two plants in there. It sounded like you had multiple root tabs in place? You can take out all but one (two if it's a big crypt) since only the Crypt is really going to be utilizing it. Also I figure I should mention that in my personal experience, I find it better to put a root tab 2-3 inches away from the main part of the Crypt. I've had problems with root tabs killing my crypts if I put them in too close, and I normally do very well with Crypts. Don't know if anyone else has had that issue, but figured I'd pass that along.

I'd probably either stop the CO2 for the time being like you were saying, or just run it at a low level until there's more plants. With your tank depth, the lights might be okay as they are - not sure as I don't have experience with taller tanks. Would prefer to have someone else weigh in on that point.

Also take philipraposo1982 suggestion of asking on the WTB/ROAK board. You can also post on the Canada board and see if anyone can send you a big plant package. Often if you just take a big old package, you can get a good price on a lot of plants. Unfortunately shipping across the border is rife with potential problems, not the least of which is having the shipment destroyed if there's something not permitted in there.

· Registered
96 Posts
My reasoning on the potential algae outbreak was due to all the resources being put into the tank - including fert dosing and root tabs - without enough plants to utilize them. If the plants don't use them, algae will. Of course if frequent water changes are being done, then that will pull out the excess, but that's a bit of a waste of the ferts and rather labor intensive to be doing for two plants imo. I also freely admit there are many ways of doing things and I could be wrong or at least may only have part of the story. :)

· Registered
96 Posts
Looking good!

Crypts have an adjustment period, but once they're happy and adjusted, they usually do very well and will eventually send out runners giving you baby plants. The plants you chose will fill in well with a bit of time, so the tank will look pretty full once they get going. The amazons in particular will get quite large, and you actually have the space for them to grow to their full potential. They'll be amazing! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.