The Planted Tank Forum banner

861 - 872 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this DIY Co2 setups, infact never done any Co2 setup before, so I have ordered the equipment for DIY which should arrive in a day or 2, however the ingredients for the co2 recipe are creating confusion to me, some website stores in my country don't have baking soda as the name but sodium bicarbonate...is it the same thing? and they also list citric acid as lemon salt...is it also the same thing for the recipe(mix) of co2? please help.
Yes, baking soda is what many countries call sodium bicarbonate. It probably depends on where you buy it.

Lemon salt appears to be citric acid. That's a new one to me, but I looked it up and sure enough... Same thing!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I have a problem with my acid citric diy co2 generator.
I follow all the procedure carefully, I checked the instruction the videos on you tube, but still my bottle A run the liquid in a couple of hours.
Can someone help me?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
306 Posts
Can you use baking powder instead of baking soda??? Thanks.

Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate, which yields a fair amount of carbon dioxide per pound. Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate to which an acid has already been added, in dry form. Add water and the reaction goes to completion. It's as if you poured your baking soda and citric acid into one bottle to begin with. Not recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have ordered this kit and made the mixture. The Problem is, as of now, citric acid liquid is almost zero and even the needle valve is off, still how come it's producing Co2? I can't shut it off. why is it creating Co2 even with the needle valve shut?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
So I have ordered this kit and made the mixture. The Problem is, as of now, citric acid liquid is almost zero and even the needle valve is off, still how come it's producing Co2? I can't shut it off. why is it creating Co2 even with the needle valve shut?
Two possibilities for you to look into. First, it would be good to learn how this method works. CO2 is generated and creates pressure which is equalized. This means it is possible for the acid side to be empty while still having some remaining reaction and CO2. Second, check for leaks ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
There are no joints between needle valve and diffuser, so chances of leaks are very less. I have got ista 3 in 1 diffuser.
There are actually many places for leaks. Where the bottles connect to the caps, the tubing itself could have a small hole, etc.

If the solution didn't last as long as you expected, I would check with soapy water, Windex, or something to see if you can find any leaks.

If it lasted a good amount of time, then just make some more solution once the pressure starts going down ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

861 - 872 of 872 Posts