Your explanation is clear, but I think it undervalues the effect the CO2 production has on the process. Adding a drop of acid in the soda bottle causes the solution to start producing CO2, but that production takes many seconds, even a minute or more, to play out. During that time, if the needle valve is closed, the CO2 builds up pressure in the soda bottle, which forces CO2 to go back up the acid supply tube to the acid bottle to equalize the pressure again. As long as the CO2 is still being generated that CO2 flow back to the acid bottle continues. Opening the needle valve releases some CO2 from the soda bottle, reducing the pressure, but the CO2 production is still continuing, so the pressure may not reduce enough or long enough to again allow acid to flow into the soda bottle. So, there is a slow motion tug of war between the produced CO2 and the acid trying to flow into the soda bottle. I think this makes the process much more complicated than it seems it would be.Sorry for the long post, I hope my explanation is clear.
Please don't go back to the yeast setup, fix the leaks and you'll be ok!
The 5 psi drop in your acid bottle is not supposed to happen if there are no leaks in the system. Especially if the valve is closed....
EDIT: When I checked the system this morning it had 5 psi in it, down from 10 psi last night. There was just a little baking soda left in the soda bottle. I shook it, squeezed some acid into the soda bottle, and opened the needle valve to a high bubble rate. After about an hour it was producing no CO2, and when I checked the soda bottle again, there was no more soda in it. So, my 100 ml of baking soda lasted 6 days. About half or more of the acid is still there. When I restart this I will use 200 ml of soda, and hope that stretches out the production for 10 days or more. It looks to me like the soda water is saturated with soda, and as it gets "used" up more dissolves, and when there is no more left to dissolve there is only an hour or less of CO2 production left. This, at a 5 or more bbs production rate. Perhaps if I diluted the acid more, I could get a longer production at a stable 1-2 bbs rate.
Keep us posted. I plan to use your formula tomorrow to see if results vary. Was going to do that last Friday, but like you stuff got in the way.I restarted my CO2 system this afternoon, after 2 days off due to life interfering. Again, I just don't have the hand strength to build up a 15 psi pressure in the bottles. Five psi was my limit today. It is now running about 2 bbs and is relatively stable. When I refilled the bottles, I added another 600 ml of acid solution to the approximately 200 ml still there. And, I used double the soda to about 200 ml in about 200 ml of water. I can't see any difference in how it is working.
The reason I don't weigh the powders is that I don't see any reason to do so. The density of citric acid powder and baking soda are pretty well known, and there is no technical reason I can see for precision in measuring them. Plus, my gram scale is stashed somewhere where I haven't found it!
Is this different from what you normally see? Have you, by any chance, measured the volume of a specific weight of citric acid powder? I used the published density to figure out the volume I used.Hoppy, started mine up about an hour ago using your formula at 1bps. So far there has not been a move of citric acid since start up.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
So far it's normal from what I usually see. I have not measured weight to volume. I can't today but I will tomorrow.Is this different from what you normally see? Have you, by any chance, measured the volume of a specific weight of citric acid powder? I used the published density to figure out the volume I used.
Good morning. Measured volume.Is this different from what you normally see? Have you, by any chance, measured the volume of a specific weight of citric acid powder? I used the published density to figure out the volume I used.
I'm not sure that's true. I have the solid bar set up instead of the hose but when the acid pumps over its not a solid stream.If there are bubbles inside the hose going to the soda bottle then you have a leak on the hose inside the acid bottle.
What you've described is the complex version: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/188249-co2-generator-yuri-tpv.html The tee fitting is the simplification of the two check valves....
I still can't get a mental picture of just how this thing goes about doing its job. It seems like it needs a separate CO2 tube to the acid bottle, and an acid tube to the soda bottle, with check valves so both can only allow passage in one direction.
I respectfully disagree. After using the System for over a year I see bubbles going over to the acid bottle many times over the exchange of pressure.What you've described is the complex version: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/188249-co2-generator-yuri-tpv.html The tee fitting is the simplification of the two check valves.
Once the pressures have reached equilibrium, the acid flow goes only one way. It only backs out briefly after it mixes with the soda solution but no new bubbles are introduced back into the acid bottle. .
Mine doesn't. It's the reason why my setup hasn't breached the 3/4 level after almost 2 months now (54 days to be exact). At this rate, 6 months looks doableI respectfully disagree. After using the System for over a year I see bubbles going over to the acid bottle many times over the exchange of pressure.