The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Java Fern years ago. The normal, windelov and trident. They never did well in my tank, they didn't really grow, and when they did, they just shrank producing smaller and smaller leaves.

Now, years later, knowing more about plants, I am going to try some Java fern again. I've had some in QT tubs and just got more a few days ago.

I use Excell and the Excell carbon. Works great with my other plants. Now I want Java fern to THRIVE so will the Excell products help?
Any other tips on helping Java fern do amazingly well?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Java fern is supposedly like the most easiest plant there is I guess to grow/keep alive. I haven't really noticed it to grow very much, though. I had some for about 5 or 6 months, and it only sprouted about 4 or 5 leaves.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's all about the flourish comprehensive. I sold mine off. But excel comprehensive. Works magic. Heavy water column feeders.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I wonder how much water flow effects them? I've never had any luck with windelov, which was the first kind I ever had. It withered away, turning black (and not sending out any new growth). I set up a 40B as a fry tank, and I stuck the near dead plant in there. I floated around & anchored itself to the sponge on the powerhead and started to thrive. Now it's 5 times it's original size, lush green and waving madly in the rather fast outflow of the powerhead. Could it be like bolbitis & like a strong current?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Make sure they have enough ferts, they are very sensitive to macro deficiencies. I damaged most of mine that way and they have never really bounced back.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i find mine grows Very slow, but the more you can fertalize the water column the better the plant should be

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Hi All,

I really enjoy java ferns and have grown four species of Microsorum pteropus (regular, Windelov, 'Trident', and Needleleaf) and they all seem to thrive in about the same conditions: medium light; reasonable fertilization; and the key ingredient - patience.

@keithy - FYI, I dose Seachem Flourish Excel (glutaraldehyde) at 2X the daily dosage and have for years with no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I wonder how much water flow effects them? I've never had any luck with windelov, which was the first kind I ever had. It withered away, turning black (and not sending out any new growth). I set up a 40B as a fry tank, and I stuck the near dead plant in there. I floated around & anchored itself to the sponge on the powerhead and started to thrive. Now it's 5 times it's original size, lush green and waving madly in the rather fast outflow of the powerhead. Could it be like bolbitis & like a strong current?
Yes, they do like good water flow. Mine did much better after I put a spray bar in.

don't't excel melt java ferns?
Yes, it does.

·
Registered
866 Posts
roy,
I have heard about the story from both sides. One saying excel would melt java fern and the other swears by it. I have zero experience with excel of metricide and that 's why I wasn't sure about it. Thanks for your clarifications. I am sure there are others here that would beg to differ. Anyways, this would be a good topic of discussion on another post and I apologize to the OP if I am sidetracking his original question.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Metricide-14/Excel will not melt java fern in my experience. Even when overdosing to kill BBA. What the OP should do is list what fertilizers he/she uses. Java ferns will need macro ferts in the water column, either by dosing or from fish waste.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Keith(y?),
It's all part of the OP's topic, I believe.

Excel will melt Java fern. I know this because I've turned it into goo when treating hair algae outbreaks. Java fern can also benefit from Excel. I know this because I've created large Java fern forests using Roy's "2X the daily dosage" routine. I'm sure you can kill any plant with Excel if the dose is strong enough. I assume this because I've killed many ""tough" plants with it by accident and experiment.

I think driftwoodhunter is correct about water flow. Mine seems to thrive most my tank with the highest current. Also, as suggested, it likes ferts, and if you really want it to take off, add CO2.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi All,

I really enjoy java ferns and have grown four species of Microsorum pteropus (regular, Windelov, 'Trident', and Needleleaf) and they all seem to thrive in about the same conditions: medium light; reasonable fertilization; and the key ingredient - patience.

@keithy - FYI, I dose Seachem Flourish Excel (glutaraldehyde) at 2X the daily dosage and have for years with no ill effects.

Beautiful!

^^^ ya ignore everyone else and listen to this guy. Hahaha jk. Thanks for sharing beautiful tank

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Just like Roy said, medium light, ample ferts including CO2, good flow and patience.
That just took my breath away! What size is the tank?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Since we are talking about such things - is there a difference between needle leaf and narrow leaf java fern, or are the name interchangeable? I have been sold both, and they look the same to me - by far my favorite plant, btw.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
That just took my breath away! What size is the tank?
It's a 75 gallon. Both ferns have had substantial trims since the pic was made and are a much more reasonable size now. Sometimes the patience to grow them sneaks up on you and you don't notice how huge they can get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts